Can't open any MS Office 2003 programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by rbutler12345, Oct 23, 2008.

1. rbutler12345

rbutler12345 Private E-2

I recently had a virus infect my computer. It took several attempts to finally remove it. Now I cannot open any of my MS Office 2003 programs. When I try to launch any of the programs, I get the following application error message:

The Instruction at "0x7c801efd" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
    Click on Cancel to debug the program

When I click on cancel, the error window just shuts, nothing happens. The same when I click on ok.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office 2003 to no avail.

Please help!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Is it just Office or is it other applications too?

What you could first do is to run CCleaner and clean up the temps and junk on your PC, then run Windows Installer Cleanup and delete any mention of Office 2003 applications from its list, then try reinstalling Office again.

If the above doesnt work as as that error code doesnt link to any error codes at Microsoft for Office or any product, so I would be guessing you may still have malware on your PC, so to that end I would do the below and then post a new thread in our Malware forum and give a brief explaination of whats going on and attach all the logs from the guide.

Please follow the instructions in the below link and attach the requested logs when you finish these instructions.

• If something does not run, write down the info to explain to us later but keep on going.
    • Do not assume that because one step does not work that they all will not.
    Notes:

1. If you run into problems trying to run theREAD & RUN ME or any of the scans in normal boot mode. You can running steps in safe boot mode but make sure you tell us what you did later when you post logs. See the below if you do not know how to boot in safe mode:
    2. If you have problems downloading on the problem PC, download the tools on another PC and burn to a CD. Then copy them to the problem PC. You will have to skip getting updates if (and only if) your internet connection does not work. Yes you could use a flash drive too but flash drives are writeable and infections can spread to them.

Once finished please start a new thread in the Malware Forum plus a guide on how to attach the logs HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post

After these are attached our malware experts will review these to see if your OK, if not they will issue you some further removal instructions.

3. rbutler12345

rbutler12345 Private E-2

Well running the CCleaner program and the Windows Installer Cleanup worked.
    Thanks!

4. rbutler12345

rbutler12345 Private E-2

Ok, well I thought it was fixed because after I ran those 2 things, I was able to open Word no problem. A few hours later, however, when I attempt to open Word, the same problem occurs again. Any insight?

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I would suggest you go on to the next part of Halo's advice, where he indicates it would be beneficial to work through the Read & Run Me First Malware Removal Guide.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Absolutly Lev, it is very possible that using CCLeaner cleared your temp folders where malware could be hiding but when you later come to run Office the sneaky malware is likely to have re-created itself.

So the aforementioned Malware guide is well worth a go even just to rule out malware as our malware experts are superb at ruling out or fixing malware.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds