cant open Earthlink mail attachment recieved in Outlook

Discussion in 'Software' started by KIMRIK, Feb 28, 2005.

1. KIMRIK

KIMRIK Private E-2

I recently uninstalled Earthlink Access 2004 from my system. While it was still installed I was using my old Outlook Express for email and everything was fine except that every now and then it would ask me to log Earthlink when I tried to read an attachment then it would shift over to Earthlink and a email account I did not use. It was more trouble than it was worth so I uninstalled it. Now when I try to open an attachment with the Earthlink mail symbol it wont let me because it cant find a way to open it. I have tried changing what program it opens with but have either not found the right one or just dont know what I am doing! I hope some part of this makes sense! Thanks!

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

What exactly do you mean when you say Earthlink mail attachment ?

Are you talking about the attachments? If so, what file extension are they?

3. KIMRIK

KIMRIK Private E-2

The attachment is a Earthlink mail message with a .eml extension.

4. bjgarrick

Go into Control Panel > Folder Options > Select the File Types Tab.

In the list of extensions, locate .eml and select CHANGE in the Details box.

When the windows pops up, select Outlook Express

Click Apply, OK

5. KIMRIK

KIMRIK Private E-2

I tried changing the program it opens with to Outlook Express like you said but it gives me a list of several options in Outlook - (msimn, oemig50, setup50, wab, wabmig) and I tried all of them but none work. Any more suggestions? Thanks

6. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Hi there, I think there is a way to set up Outlook Express to read certain file types, but I cannot find it at the moment, I'll work on it some more and repost if someone doesn't help you before I find it.

7. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Sorry, my bad, or at least I can't find it now, I remember having sort of the same problem and I thought that was how I fixed it, but I can't find it now. It could have been in Outlook XP also as I have that too, but since you did not refer to that, I didn't look there, sorry :(

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

9. bjgarrick

Ouch! Toes!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds