Cant open multiple mail accounts same browser

Discussion in 'Software' started by beepbeep73440, Feb 16, 2011.

1. beepbeep73440

beepbeep73440 Private E-2

Hi all. I know this was posted about six months ago. I want to be able to open two different yahoo mail accounts in IE. I know, the earlier post suggests to use 2 different browsers. I have done this in the past no problem, both in IE until I recently did a factory restore and decided to allow windows to update (That why I never let windows update). I want to be able to use same browser. I did before and I dont like that some update changed that. I would just as well do another factory restore to have it my way, lol. So how do I do this w/o spending 8 hours reloadin my files and resetting all my settins(factory restore)?

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If you are using a personal PC (not a work or public one), have you thought about using an e-mail program to download and compose messages?

If you don't have (or don't like) Outlook, here are two others. Eudora is good. I haven't tried Foxmail; however it has good feedback (a 4.55 rating) on the downloads page.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Eudora_d2044.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Foxmail_d2055.html

On both, you should be able to set them up to file incoming mail from different e-mail accounts into separate folders. There should also be an option to leave messages on the e-mail server as a backup.

Hope this helps. :)

3. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

I'm not understanding the problem. I have 2 yahoo accounts. When I want to log into one or the other, I just log out, and log back in to the account I want to use, all within the same browser. What am I not getting?

4. shooter

shooter Private First Class

He wants to be able to be in both accounts in different tabs of the same browser... for the sake of convenience.

I have this issue with my main two Gmail accounts, so I am not unsympathetic.

Unfortunately for the OP, these web email accounts authenticate per-session. If he is somehow able to turn that off, he'll likely run into 'persistance' issues.

5. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Also, there's the issue of a site only maintaining one set of cookies in the browser. It's a fundamental conflict to have one set of cookies and to try and be in two accounts at the same time within the same browser.

6. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Comcast has the same issue. Once you "sign in" to your account, the browser is set to it.

I have found a workaround for Comcast; however: Use a different web browser for each e-mail (example: IE8 for e-mail "A", The World for e-mail "B"). Not quite as convenient as jumping tabs in a single browser; however it works with Comcast (and hopefully Gmail as well) and does not seem to create any "persistance" issues.

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Hi beepbeep. ;)
    I am not sure if this will help you, but I use http://www.gmx.com to consolidate multiple email accounts. You can have up to 10 different email addresses and set gmx.com to report them to one email address.

Give it a try, it's free, and works for me. Hope this is what you can use to solve your desires. ;)
    You simply specify what addresses you want to look for, and consolidate.

Bazza

===

8. beepbeep73440

Thanks for all replies. Yes for convenience and the fact that I didnt want some update changing it, what I want was to open 2 or even 3 yahoo accts in diff tabs in IE. I am doing so now, no problems. Problem was an update. Whether it was IE 8 or some other update I dunno. I did a factory reinstall. Why I decided to allow windows to update at last factory reinstall 3 weeks ago is beyond me. I never have allowed updates for anything I use cept AVG and I have had no problems. Allowing updates messed things up for me. But anyways Im cured, Thx again all.

9. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I agree that Windows Updates are a mixed bag. Although they sometimes cause problems like the one you went through, they can also be important for patching security flaws in Windows, IE8 and MS Office.

Although it's your choice, I personally install most MS Updates (the exception being major updates such as the impending final release of IE9, until I'm sure MS has all the bugs worked out). With all the malware junk infecting my clients' systems lately, I have become OCD in erring on the side of caution. :heli

If you run into a situation like this in the future, you may be able to save time and hassles by using the "System Restore" function in Windows 7 instead of doing a factory reinstall (click the Windows start icon at the bottom left of your screen and type in "System Restore" to find it). This allows you to reset the system to a previous date/time: It removes updates, registry changes and new programs installed after the system restore point chosen without deleting newer files.

Hope the problem is solved for good, and stay safe in Kuwait. :major

10. beepbeep73440

Thz GMan. I must not have had rstore points on or something because I couldnt find an early enough one to fix it. I sure did remember this time to create points!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds