Can't Open Word or Excel in Office 2010

Discussion in 'Software' started by pat07011, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat07011

pat07011 Private E-2

Suddenly I can't open Word in my Office Starter 2010. It says "must be repaired before it can run." Then asks me if I want instructions for repairing and nothing shows up when I click yes. I can't open Excel either. I get "program can't start because gfx.dll missing. Can anyone tell me what I should do? Thanks.

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Welcome to the MG Forums.

'gfx.dll' is part of Office 2010; if it is missing, try running a Microsoft Office repair:
    Control Panel | Programs and Features: right-click on Microsoft Office and select Change, then on the installation panel click Repair.

3. pat07011

pat07011 Private E-2

Thought for sure this would have worked, but it didn't. Thank you for your help anyway. :)

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Download Office Starter 2010 because you probably do not have a program disk to reinstall it.
    http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/26083-microsoft_office_starter
    After you download it, please scan it with your av and anti-malware programs to be sure it is clean.
    You want to save this to a USB stick or CD if you need to reinstall it.

Apparently this version has no serial number so that's one less item to worry about.

Create a restore point. Uninstall your current Office Starter 2010. Reboot. Install the Office 2010 Starter you downloaded and saved to a stick or a disk.

5. pat07011

pat07011 Private E-2

Hey plodr..thanks, but didn't work. It helped me another way though because I ended up uninstalling the program, so I did get it back using the link you provided. However, same problem....gfx.dll missing.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

7. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

This is very strange; I thought that after re-installing Office 2010 you would have that missing dll...

Do you have the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office 2010 installed?

If you have the 64-bit version installed, I can give you my gfx.dll file (attached). Place the unzipped file into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office - then try if you can start your Office programs. If you still cannot start them, you may need to register the dll.

If you need the 32-bit version, I can send it to you from my Windows XP system.

P.S. I do not normally recommend to put dll files from strange sources to your system, but this attached dll comes from an up-to-date Office 2010 installation.

Attached Files:

• GFX.zip
      File size:
      965.1 KB
      Views:
  8. pat07011

pat07011 Private E-2

Not sure if Plodr or PWillener's suggestion worked because I did both, but my Office 2010 is up and running again. Thank you so much for your help.:clap

9. fastnslow

fastnslow Private E-2

PWillener's file worked for me just now...THANKS!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds