Cant ping servers on any PC game.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tard, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Tard

Tard Private First Class

I play Battlefield 2, UT2004, Half-Life 2 DM, FEAR, and Far Cry Online. I just moved to a new apartment last week and got my new ISP hooked up on Sat. I was gaming all night on Sunday night, then I downloaded and patched Battlefield 2 and tried to play it online. I couldn't ping/connect to any servers. Then I tryed to play all my other games online, and I cant connect or ping any of their servers either. For the last week I've been troubleshooting this to no avail. Here are the solutions I've tried:

==================

Disabling windows firewall, my Symantec firewall and Anti-Virus.

Taking my Linksys WRT54G router off my network and plugging my PC directly into my modem.

System restore to the date before I patched, which it doesn't allow me to do even in safe mode. System Restore just acts like it's going to work until I restart and get back to my desktop and then it says "No changes have been made to your system." That's all.

Checking for blocked ports at http://www.canyouseeme.org/ . And also checked with "Port Detective v2.0" to see if my necessary game server ports are being blocked. Which it says they are. But I can't even seem to find a port that isn't blocked on it. I can see what port my browser uses, close it, then check to see if it's blocked and it says it is blocked. When I know it's not because I was just using it. Confusing?

========================

Re-installing any software isn't an option right now because I havn't received all of my baggage yet from my last place. So I dont have any of my software on-hand to fix/re-install anything. And help is appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance!

2. Tard

Tard Private First Class

No ideas... huh?

3. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

How about unblocking the ports your game uses

4. Tard

Tard Private First Class

That's what disabling your firewall does (as stated in my original post)!

Aside from that, they are not blocked and are in the exceptions list on my firewall configuration. My PCs IP is also on a DMZ on my router so all ports are open.

5. erikske

erikske Sergeant

Does manually pinging a server's IP work?
    Open a command window (start->run, type cmd and press enter)
    Type: ping <server ip> and press enter. Post the output.

6. Tard

Tard Private First Class

Nevermind guys. I'm good now. Here's the solution that I found:

==========================

There are two commands you can try which should repair the ip stack.

Both commands should be entered in a command window. (run cmd)

netsh int ip reset (which should repair the stack itself)

netsh winsock reset catalog (which should sort out winsock for you)

This assumes that you have xp sp2 installed.

==========================

Just for future reference in case someone else has this same problem.

7. mulletgut

mulletgut Private First Class

Thanks for posting your solution. I love it when people post "how" they fixed their probs so everyone can learn.
    Take a big WD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds