Can't play DVDs or CDs on new XP install.

Discussion in 'Software' started by kmblw, Jan 8, 2010.

1. kmblw

kmblw Private E-2

Could someone help me please?

I did a clean install of Windows XP on my daughter's Dell laptop. That went fine.

I tried to load the Media Direct CD and got the message “cannot copy files.” I am guessing that maybe because I cannot load this CD I cannot play CDs or DVDs because when I do Windows Media Player pops up and says “Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer."

Therefore, I installed Power DVD. However, that program would not play a DVD movie either and I got the same message.

Any advice? Is it possible to somehow get the proper DVD decoder?

everydayearthling

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Did you Dell come with a driver disk? That's what you need - the proper drivers for all the hardware specific to your model laptop.

3. kmblw

kmblw Private E-2

Plodr,
    It didn't come with a driver disc but I got one when I ordered the reinstall discs. But the driver disc won't load the drivers. I get a message about files cannot be copied.

I did another reinstall of Windows with an Acronic full backup/mirror image. Everything is working now except I can't get it to download SP3. I get a nasty blue screen with a nasty message about a memory or hardware problem. I did upgrade the memory in this last year or so. I'll work on it again when I get time.

Thanks for posting.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds