Can't reinstall java

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cody_M, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Cody_M

Cody_M Private E-2

I'm working on my friend's computer (Pent 4 XP Home) and found a large number of Trojans which we cleared out with Malware Bytes - but now I can not get Java (which was damaged and uninstalled) to reinstall.

I had an unrelated but similar problem with my own machine a couple of weeks ago and followed DomLucs advice (copied below) and got it working - but the same steps do not seem to correct this problem.
    Originally Posted by DomLuc
    Clearly, if you were following all the suggestions, then something on your system was preventing the complete uninstall of Java.

Try one more time as follows:

1. Open Task Manager and 'end process' on jqs.exe and make sure that is *disappears* from the list of processes. If it does *not* disappear, then go to:
    Start > Run > services.msc and find 'Java Quick Starter' in the list, double click on it and under 'Service Status' click on 'stop' and check again in Task Manager that it has now disappeared.
    2. Now go to Program Files > Java > JRE and delete the entire folder
    3. Now go to Documents and Settings > *your user name* > Application Data > Sun > Java and delete the entire folder.
    4. Now run 'CCleaner > Registry > Scan For Issues > at 100% click on 'Fix All Issues' and repeat that enough times until '0' issues are found.

Now restart your system and try to install it afresh.

Good luck
    I also used JavaRa to clean out old Java files.

I get two error messages - one in regular mode - "Installer was Interrupted - Installation Failed"
    and the other in Safe Mode - "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation"

I have two user accounts (plus guest) on this computer - both are administrator enabled. I have checked my settings but don't see anything that would cause this and I know that I have never deliberately set a policy against this.

I have spent several days trying to overcome this and would appreciate any help.
    Thanks - Cody

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Interesting:

source= http://www.bhcblog.com/2009/03/09/f...-policies-to-prevent-this-installation-error/

3. Cody_M

Cody_M Private E-2

I tried the Windows Installer Clean Up and it did find a couple of references (which I cleaned out) but I am still getting the Installer Wizard was interrupted could not complete installation of Java XXXX. Installation failed

I then went to the Registry items that Thee Fool suggested but I don't understand the registry well enough to follow through.

Re: changing the value from 1 to 0 - I could not find that particular line (but did find the file ok)

Re: Delete product file - These are all nubers and I have no idea what nuber is relevant

So the problem still exists. Sorry it takes so long to get back to you on this - I only get down there once or twice a week.
    Thanks - Cody

4. Cody_M

Cody_M Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't understand the registry well enough to follow through.

Re: changing the value from 1 to 0 - I could not find that particular line (but did find the file ok)

Re: Delete product file - These are all nubers and I have no idea what nuber is relevant

So the problem still exists. Sorry it takes so long to get back to you on this - I only get down there once or twice a week.
    Thanks - Cody

5. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hey cody, you mention that you removed a lot of malware from this PC, are you confident it is clean?

Also Have you tried running through all these steps in safe mode?

Q

6. Cody_M

Cody_M Private E-2

I guess I'm not absolutely sure but I've used "Malware Bytes", "Spybot",
    Ad-Aware, a-squared and "Advanced System Care" in conjunction with "AVG Free" every day for a full week after Malware Bytes removed the threats. Nothing further was found.
    Thanks - Cody

7. Cody_M

Cody_M Private E-2

nuber is supposed to be NUMBER

8. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

I second everything Domluc says in the post above.

However you mentioned that you used many anti-malware app's "in conjunction with "AVG Free" every day for a full week" i would just like to point out, you should only run one at a time, and if possible run them in safemode [some wont run in safemode]

I also advise using a better AV than AVG [they're not as good as they used to be]

Avira is by far the best free one IMO http://majorgeeks.com/Avira_AntiVir_Personal_-_Free_Antivirus_d955.html

And Kaspersky is the best [paid one] IMO. :)

9. Cody_M

Cody_M Private E-2

Domluc;
    Thanks for your advice.
    Until you mentioned it I had no idea that a Malware Removal Guide even existed - I have now gone into it and I have started to change over to the reccomended programs on both this computer and my own at home. And I am gradually working through the steps to be sure this one is completely clean. - It takes a while as I can not dedicate enough time to do it all at once

The GOOD NEWS is that that the latest version of Java (16) installed fine and is now working as it is supposed to.
    Once again thanks for the help. - Cody

10. Cody_M

Cody_M Private E-2

-Q-
    Thanks.
    I was using them in conjunction with each other - not at the same time. I did run some in safemode as well.
    I appreciate the advice about Avira - I had always thought AVG was an equal.
    thanks again - Cody

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds