cant reload my os

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mycomputercantfixme, May 23, 2010.

1. mycomputercantfixme

mycomputercantfixme Private E-2

i have a hp pavillion 300 desktop,I have just changed the harddrive,(to a bigger one)and wish to
    load a new os on it. the hard drive I installed was used,but good,I can not seem to get the computer
    to boot from the dvd rom.
    i went to bio screen to the boot section,it show floppy drive,hard drive and adapti cd rom
    when i push enter on the dvd rom nothing happens,I was able to move it to the top of the list,but no
    change.
    there is + next to the floppy and harddrive,but nothing next to the dvd rom.
    is it not seeing the dvd rom?

it is a burned copy of windows 7 on dvd,
    I dont know about the drivers for the dvd rom,but the harddrive is new to the machine,but used.
    windows 98 tries to load,,must have been on the harddrive before i got it

also, after the windows 98 screen comes up,it says c:\>
    thanks again

bios screen shows as follows:
    boot device priority
    atapi cd-rom
    removable devices
    hard drive
    here is the thing,there is a HP cd writer and a dvd-rom in the tower,no cd-rom
    i dont understand what the atapi cd rom is listed for.

I also tried unhooking the harddrive and floppy,hoping to force it to boot from dvd
    no luck
    please help me

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I have sen this happen with burned dvd's, when the dvd drive does not like that particulaar type of dvd, or, it is a bad burn.- It then see's the dvd drive as a cd drive.
    I would use your originl XP, or, Vista cd/dvd to format the 'new' hard drive,-- and even load a Vista on to the 'new' hard drive, and don't bother registering it, but once installed, just insert your W7 disc in the dvd drive and install it through Vista- in other words instal directly while Vista is up and running, as it ill instal that way, if the 'burn' was good- I am assuming this is a legal burn, and not pirated, as we cannot condone pirate dvd/cd 's.
    :major

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Re: cant get my operating system to reload

quick guess is your 'burned copy' is not a bootable disk. Depending who / how the disk was made the boot section may not of been copied. Will it boot in another PC? You did move CD to the top of the boot order? Your not getting a "press any key to boot cd"?

4. mycomputercantfixme

mycomputercantfixme Private E-2

I am not getting the press any keyto boot from cd,
    I think i have moved it to the top of the list.
    I may have a drive issue,,i tried a factory xp disk /same ,same
    thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds