Can't remove folder named Virus Removal Tool

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cmdr Chill, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Cmdr Chill

Cmdr Chill Private First Class

Hello! My issue is a folder that appeared on my desktop labeled, "Virus Removal Tool". I have attempted delete this folder with no luck. I get a dialog telling me "access denied" or "folder locked" or "this is a system folder and deleting it will cause windows to not function properly". I suspect malware but I have scanned this machine with everything MGs has to offer. Of course not at the same time. I have used Unlocker and the processes listed are, "CheckURL..exe" and "explorer.EXE" but unlocking them does nothing. I need help again:-o, Please advise, and thank you in advance!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Which Windows version?

Have you booted into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and tried to remove this folder, also try the below from normal and safe modes

Options to delete this errant file are,

1. Pocket Killbox
    2. MoveOnBoot this one, once you dragNdrop the file or browse for its location, deletes the file on reboot, so any applications that have locked the file are not running so cannot lock it before deletion.

3. Cmdr Chill

Hi Halo! Good to hear from you again! I use XP home SP3. I have not tried any of the methods you suggest. I will due so now and report. Thank you so much!

4. Cmdr Chill

Hello again, Well I've run into yet another issue, I tried the aforementioned remedies in normal mode with no joy but I cannot seem to get my computer to boot into safe mode. I press F8 at startup and it goes to a screen where I have a choice of where I want to boot from. I tried pressing F8 at that screen with no effect. I pressed f1 thru f12 then tried esc, alt, and control all with the same result (no safe mode). I am not going to allow this folder to beat me though. I am all set to reformat and clean install XP just to get this folder off of my desktop. I really like the way my setup is now though and if I could, I would like to avoid wiping the HD. Any thoughts?

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

What is source of this "Virus Removal Tool"? It sounds a lot like the Kaspersky AVP Tool which I have found to be more-or-less IMPOSSIBLE to completely uninstall once it's been installed. If I remember correctly, and if this is a result of the Kaspersky AVP tool, I had to boot into a neutral environment like using a live PE CD (like the UBCD4Win) or even a Knoppix live Linux CD. Then I searched the hard drive and manually removed all Kaspersky related files and folders including the one you're having trouble with. Items on the desktop can be found in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Desktop. You should also take a look in the StartUp folder at C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Start Menu\Programs and remove any offending from there also. The UBCD4Win also allow you to edit the registry so you can go to the startup locations and make sure they're clean of offending entries also. Go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run and RunOnce and RunOnceEx; also go to the same locations in the HKLM key. Be careful editing the registry. If you're not comfortable with it, don't do it. You can really mess things up by editing the wrong keys or the wrong items in the right keys.

NOTE- all this pertains to removing the stubborn Kaspersky AVP Tool. If this is not your problem, you can probably still use some of the info to remove the folder you're having troubles with....

GOOD LUCK!

[dlb]
    :-D

6. Cmdr Chill

Hi dlb! I think you have it! I recently DLed the Kaspersky AVP Tool from MGs and ran it just to see if it could catch anything my McAfee Security Suite missed. (Paranoia). I noticed the folder on the desktop after that but did not make the connection. (Brain Fade). The folder has a folder inside named, is-ALRRK and inside that folder is another named, drivers. This "drivers" folder contains 4 files with extentions .cat, .inf, .sys, and .exe. I have a Knoppix CD and could boot from it but I would be very uncomfortable rooting around in the registry. Do you think it would be better for me to reinstall?

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

8. Cmdr Chill

Once again MGs has saved the day, Halo, dlb, and TimW, I can't express in words the admiration I feel for your selfless dedication to helping your fellow Gs. Because I had originally, (and inadvertantly) deleted the uninstall file from the folder when I first tried to get rid of it, the fix for this little dilemma was to reinstall the Kasperski Virus Removal Tool, which I DLed from the recommended programs section on MGs. It is kind of scary though because it places another folder named "Virus Removal Tool1" on the desktop! I dragged the original offending folder into that folder and was able to delete it easily. I'm assuming the new install released the hooks to the files inside. I then clicked on the start icon inside the new folder and without actually using the application I closed the program and I was presented with a dialog asking me if I wanted to uninstall, to which I promptly answered YES! The entire application was then uninstalled and the new folder on the desktop disappeared! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds