Can't rewite erased CD-RW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hillblazer, Sep 21, 2006.

1. hillblazer

hillblazer Private E-2

Hello,

I erased 3-cd's using the XP wizard and now they are not found. It says please insert disc when I try to add new data with the XP wizard. Other discs do work just not the erased ones. The DVD-RW E drive properties shows used space 0 and free space 0 on these discs.

The device manager shows this drive, Pioneer DVD-WR DVR-K14L, the drivers are up to date. The laptop is a Vaio PCG-K37 with XP home edition. The discs are TDK CD-RW High Speed Data.

How can I use these discs again?

Thanks

2. padams

padams First Sergeant

how many times have you used the discs and erased them?

3. hillblazer

hillblazer Private E-2

This is the first time that I erased all three of them.

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I had the same problem with some memorex cd-rw that i had, never came to a conclusion as why, just threw them away, i think it is in the disc's. ed

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

I erased 3-cd's using the XP wizard and now they are not found. It says please insert disc when I try to add new data with the XP wizard. Other discs do work just not the erased ones. The DVD-RW E drive properties shows used space 0 and free space 0 on these discs. How can I use these discs again?

Have you tried "reformatting" the erased CD-RW disks?

I had the same problem (as tunered mentioned above in post #4) with a bunch of Memorex CD-RW disks that I got with a FREE coupon from Staples or something. Just like what happened in hillblazer's case; whenever I erased the Memorex discs, the disk would then show zero used space and zero free space on the discs and they all appeared to be unusable after that.

When I went to return the disks the salesperson replaced them and said that if this problem occurred again they probably would be usable again if I reformatted. It worked!

Good Luck!

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Thats a good one, still have a few with a bunch of junk that i saved, just for fun i will try that, dont care if i have to throw them away too. Worth a try tho. Thanks. ed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds