Can't run a downloaded screensaver

Discussion in 'Software' started by Enid, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Enid

Enid Private E-2

Hi all--

I am running Windows XP Home (with SP2 installed and all that jazz), and I downloaded and installed a screensaver from Screensaverworld.com. However, when I've selected the screensaver and it tries to run, I just get the "has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. This also happens when I try to preview the screensaver, although when I just have the Screensaver tab open in Display Properties the screensaver actual does show up on the little pretend monitor they have set up there. The WinXP screensavers work fine (but they are way lamer than the awesome downloaded screensaver, so I don't want to use them).

Does anyone have any ideas? It's been making my brain hurt for a while now. Thank you!

2. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

Sounds simple, but did you try uninstalling and reinstalling it? The files might have been corrupted when you downloaded it the first time.

Welcome to MajorGeeks! :)

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

.scr is a very common format for malicious code. Did you scan it first, or do you have a real-time av that would catch it when trying to load?

Just a thought. I don't know if you got it from a source you trust or not, or if you've already done something along these lines.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds