can't run bat files or register dll's & ocx's

Discussion in 'Software' started by Norgates, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Norgates

Norgates Corporal

Hi folks,

I tried to run a small bat file to register two dll's and an ocx and the bat file blinked on and off without any success message. I then tried registering the three files directly using the regsvr32 command and this didn't work.

I was wondering if you could you tell me why my computer will not do these things and how I can correct the problem?

appreciate it.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Norgates.

Need to know what OS and service pack # you're running - might also help if you would attach a copy of the batch file.

3. Norgates

Norgates Corporal

Hi Caliban,

I'm running XP-Pro / SP3. I reformatted and reinstalled a couple of weeks ago, so it's a recent installation. It's been activated with Microsoft.

The bat file is one I got from Malwarebytes FAQs for a specific error I've been getting whenever I tried to run Malwarebytes. I tried following their instructions for repairing, removing (with mbam-clean) and reinstalling a different version and this simply resulted in new kinds of errors with Malwarebytes.

I'm not having any trouble with any other program, however, when I couldn't run the bat file and subsequently couldn't run a cmd code that is supposed to do a simple scan, I started thinking the Malwarebytes problems may be pointing at a more general problem with my OS, particularly, because I was unable to register dll's, so I decided to post here, which I think must be a normal action most computers can do.

I am the administrator.

When I tried to run the bat file, it simply blinked out and when I tried to run the cmd code, it shut down the computer "at the owner's request", so I wasn't sure the code was right. I'll post both pieces of code below.

For information, I recently replaced hardware on my computer (mother board / chip / graphics card), reformatted and reinstalled XP and got all the updates including SP3 and .NetFramework, installed new versions of Avira and MalwareBytes, and the most recent java. I had someone else configure the Bios for me, so I don't know if something is different there.

I seem to be missing at least one file from my OS and I don't know if this is a standard file that is always present or not: regsvr32.exe

Here are the two codes:

Code:
    regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll"
    regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ssubtmr6.dll"
    regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\vbalsgrid6.ocx"
    and this one, which I tried both from Run and from within the Command Prompt itself:

Code:
    CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
    Thanks for looking at this for me.

4. Caliban

Quick question: are you running 32-bit or 64-bit?

One thing you might try while we get a handle on this: instead of 'regsvr32', type 'regsvr32.exe' in your first batch - probably won't change things, but humor me.

5. Caliban

Another shot - download regsvr32a.exe and extract it to your C:\Windows\System32\ folder - if you're running 64-bit, you'll also have to place a copy in your C:\Windows\SysWoW64\ folder.

I know HTML, but otherwise I'm not a code guy - maybe some of the gurus here can verify your batch. Question: is the apostrophe after Malwarebytes supposed to be there?

6. Norgates

Norgates Corporal

Hi Caliban,

I did a repair install of my operating system and regsvr32.exe is now there. When I did a clean install of my OS with the new motherboard some weeks ago, something must have gone wrong, because it looks like I was missing a lot more than just regsvr32.exe.

Thanks very much!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds