Can't Run SFC /SCANNOW

Discussion in 'Software' started by timw128, Sep 7, 2012.

1. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Please help!... I can't run 'SFC.EXE. /SCANNOW on XP Pro SP3. My AV doesn't find any viral content, and I have never had a problem running before.
    Here's what is happening: From 'CMD'- 'SFC.EXE /SCANNOW', progress bar pops up, then a window pops up asking for the disk, install disk and a window keeps popping up with the retry-continue-cancel note. That's it! When I try to cancel, I just keep getting the Yes/No query. Can't get out, unless I restart the pc. When doing this, it takes forever to reboot. The reason I decided to run the 'sfc /scannow' is because when I log on in the morning, all of a sudden some of my desktop icons have lost their 'logo', and I have to go to properties and do the change icon thing. I do have an icon file (ico) in My Documents where I keep them. There are a few other minor system nuances going on, also, from time to time.
    Thanks for any help!
    tim

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Lot of places we can go here.

Are you running it from command prompt that you started as "run as administrator"?

In some situations, especially in Windows XP and Windows 2000, you may also need access to your original Windows installation CD or DVD.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Easiest first step would be to restore the computer to a date before you noticed these problems.

The next option is a bit more of a hassle.
    Do you have a i386 folder on your computer?
    If so and it is not located at C:\ then
    These steps were posted by usasma at another forum.

4. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Thanks y'all. I'll check the location of 'i386'. I, as user, have admin privilege- that's the way I set my account up. I have my original Windows CD, and I have a Windows XP Back Up Media CD w/ SP3 slip streamed in- It came with my Full Retail OS. That is the disk I have always used for installs, and it has always worked for running 'sfc /scannow'. Let me see if I can create some screen shots and attempt a more detailed picture of what my problem is. Can't restore to an earlier point- trust me, it would cause way more issues than I have now.
    tim

5. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Here is what my 'C:\' looks like, and a shot of 'i386' search.
    Thanks!
    tim

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds