Can't run Windows Live installer for my update

Discussion in 'Software' started by conceptualclarity, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Every time I click Open on the Windows Live Installer executable it fails to execute, and the folder I had it in instantly disappears. I tried a number of folders, and I've tried Run, and the same thing always happens. The file is big, 214 MB, but I think I've successfully run installation files bigger than that.

Should I try to install it in Safe Mode? I don't even know if that's possible.

Operating System
    Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3
    CPU
    Intel Pentium 4
    Northwood 0.13um Technology
    RAM
    2.00 GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
    Motherboard
    Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 (Microprocessor)
    Graphics
    Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
    Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)
    Storage
    74.5 GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA)
    Free 40.53 GB
    3.67 GB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device (USB)
    119.22 GB PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device (USB)
    Optical Drives
    SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
    Audio
    Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
    Anti-Virus
    Roboscan free

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't know what you mean by Windows Live Installer. XP shipped with Windows Installer 3.1 and I always update it to version 4.5 when I need to re-install XP. There's Windows (Live) Essentials. Is that what you mean? It's interesting that the folder disappears. :confused

3. mdonah

I found a program called Windows Live installer that's shareware. Is that the one you're talking about? Did you pay the shareware fee?

4. Hi, thanks for your responses. No, not shareware. It is indeed Windows Live Essentials.

I got it on a direct download from Updatestar. (See screenshot.)

Attached Files:

5. mdonah

Try using Microsoft's web setup for Windows Live Essentials. The file is only 1.18MB and you're dealing directly with Microsoft this way.

UpdateStar is like Secunia PSI?

6. Thank you.

Yes, it's like Secunia.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds