Can't see data files on cd-r

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gaia2, May 17, 2005.

1. gaia2

gaia2 Private E-2

AOL "updated" itself and now the DATA CD-R (text, pics & backup files) I had in the drive reads as AUDIO and I can't see my files.

The update caused my computer to restart, then Media player popped up. When I looked in Windows explorer, the CD read as audio CD.
    Previously, media player was disabled because I use cd only for data, formatting with Roxio CD creator.

I have once again disabled media player, but it still reads as audio, saying the disk is full, which it is not. It now looks like a new cd not yet formated. It is not a cd-rw, just cd-r, so the files couldn't have being erased, right?

Does anyone have any suggestion on how I could retrieve my files? Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you much.

WinMe, IE 6, Firefox 1.0.4 ... so much better than IE!

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Can you uninstall the update?? Maybe the update process messed up your CD-ROM driver??

I myself would...

1. Uninstall and reinstall the cd-rom drive/driver.

If that doesn't work...

2. Try uninstalling the updated.

Still no luck...

3. Try rolling the system back to a restore date right before the update occured!!

Roger

3. gaia2

gaia2 Private E-2

Thanks for the reply, Roger.

1. Actually the driver is fine with any other cd, it's just this one that I can't read.

2. I have no idea what the update was, because it is an automatic aol "enhancement" and they can't tell me what it was (don't get me started on aol customer service). I imagine it was mainly MS media player, because I had disabled it, so it shouldn't have come up.

If you have any idea how I could find out and uninstall the update, that'd be great.

3. I'm almost running out of memory, so Restore can't remember how to go back in time! ;)

4. I imagine media player did something to the disk to change it from text to audio and I guess what I need to do is find a way to change it back to text.

This may actually be the real question I should have asked.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Can you bring up a dos shell to read the data off the cd?

As in, Start, run, cmd (or command), enter..
    change to the drive letter..i.e.
    d: <enter>
    then, type in
    dir <enter>

5. gaia2

gaia2 Private E-2

Sorry I took so long to respond, I've being swamped.

It looks like the disk has being reformated for audio because it reads:

"volume in drive d is audio cd"
    track 01.cda
    1 file 44 bytes
    0 dir 0 byte free

... which is exactly what a new disk says!

Now, I know I have lost my data, but at least I won't waste any more time trying to figure out how to recover it ... Unless you know of a miracle.

Thank you so much for your help.

Now, anyone up for shooting aol? ;)

PS. As a side note, following Rogvalcox suggestion, I tried to see if I could go back in time, even though restore had previously refused to do anything.
    Bingo! the thing started turning like a horse on a mad merry-go-round, and it now tells me I've got back my memory! It wiped out all my previous restore points, but that was expected.
    I had found an Alexa bug the day before, and it was choking my computer to death. So thank you Spybot, and all of you for the help! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds