Cant see my second Hardrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ls2, Sep 6, 2004.

1. ls2

ls2 Private E-2

Ive been trying to get second hardrive to work on this computer,but for some reason I am not able to access it.Went to the Bios Setup and everything is the way it should be.My Primary Hardrive is in its right place and the secondary which is my other hardrive is right.Primary is Master hardrive running the Operating system and my other hardrive is set as Slave like it should.When I go to My computer Icon to access that hardrive its just not there A drive and C drive are there just not the other hardrive.What gives?Im running Win 98....Any advice on making that other hardrive accessible?

Pentium 3 1.0Ghz
    256 mb sdram
    128 ddr Geforce4 4mx 440
    1.gig Hardive Wd running Win98
    40 gig Hardrive Wd

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

i'm assuming your bios knows the second drive is there, right? you'll need to run fdisk utility in the command prompt to make sure the second drive is partitioned. MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE OPTION TO CHANGE THE DRIVE TO THE SECOND DRIVE IN FDISK BEFORE MESSING WITH ANYTHING. if it's already partitioned, you'll need to format it. the command "format d:" should do it. if your cdrom is D:, then say format e: or something like that. you should get the general idea.

3. ls2

ls2 Private E-2

:( Aww I believe I mess up something.I must have choosen the wrong option on the Fdisk command,right know I am using another Op Sys right know and my Win 98 is messed up.A black screen telling me to Reboot,I downloaded a win 98 boot disk,but have no idea how to work it.It loads all the stuff up like I think It should after that I get the A:\ command prompt.What Command do I use to start win 98 again?

4. GregoryDalton

GregoryDalton Private E-2

Which drive did you fdisk? If you have accidentally fdisked your primary drive then you may be in a spot of bother... not sure if that cant be recovered by messing with the MBR on your primary but my first thoughts when reading your post were that you had inadvertedly fdisked your primary drive, not your secondary......... that would explain why your PC no longer goes to Win98.

How to check? You say your bootdisk takes you to an A:\ Dos Prompt? Hmmm... can you access the C Drive or the secondary (D?) Drive... how about your CD Rom? If you can get on your C drive do a 'dir /p' command and check to see what is on the disk. We can see where to go from there.

Cheers,
    Greg

5. ls2

ls2 Private E-2

I Fdisk on Dos and went to an option were it said something about deleting or making a new partition or adding a extended partition.I choose to extend the C: partition drive which was my Primary Hardrive with the Win98 on it,Note I did not delete it.I did do a mistake tho I also dont think the Win98 is messed up just somehow moved and option.My question is how do Exactly do you access the C: drive.The boot disk takes me to where the Black screen were the A:\ prompt appears.

I quite dont remeber how to access the C:\ drive.My Dos Skills are limited.If there is something still there how and what command propmts should I use to get the Win98 up and running again?Or if I messed ut up good well I you guys can tell me. :)

I guess know is trying to get back the Win98 back on using the Ms dos Prompt commands if it is possible.

6. ls2

ls2 Private E-2

Woo hooo fixed the non starting Win98.Seems I had no Active partition.So I activated it.Restarted worked and started Win 98.Know back to my origanal question How do I make my second Hardrive appear?In The Fdisk Options there are five otions to which one can choose?Here they are...

1.Create Dos Partion or Logical Dos Drive
    2.Set active partition
    3.Delete parttion or logical drive
    4.Display partition information
    5.Change current fixed disk drive

Which one do I choose to make my second hardrive appear?Note the Primary hardrive is Fat32 the second hardrive is Nfts?Whould this be a problem?

7. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Ok, you've booted to an A:> prompt. We need to know if the OS you booted into from your startup disk can see your hard drive at all. It's looking like you FDISKed your primary drive (C: ) instead of the secondary (usually D: ). And I doubt that FDISK will let you change partition structures on a drive without destroying all data on that drive. (PartitionMagic can do that, but not FDISK.)

What do you get when you give the command "dir c:" at the A:> prompt? (Don't enter the quotes.)

8. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

What do you get when you select "4. Display partition information"?

And yes -- if you've booted from some version of DOS on your startup diskette, it will not recognise NTFS. Neither will Win98. But the option above should show that when it displays information for the second hard drive. I think.

If you're going to use that second drive for Win98/98SE, you're going to have to dump the NTFS format. Win98 doesn't know how to use it. It's a Windows XP thing.

If it were mine, I'd repartition the second drive, then re-format it with FAT32 for Win98. You may not actually need to repartition it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds