Can't set Vista wallpaper/no picture thumbnails

Discussion in 'Software' started by mistermike40, Aug 4, 2012.

1. mistermike40

mistermike40 Private E-2

My daughter's laptop (Vista 32-bit) was running slow but no obvious signs of virus. I ran Advanced System Care (quick scan first, then complete) and it is back to normal speed... she's very happy! :)

However, one problem still exists: she can't set a picture as her wallpaper. Also, pictures don't preview as thumbnails; she just has a blurry picture icon instead.

In Folder Options/View, "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is unchecked so that isn't it. Is there possibly a file association error?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. mistermike40

mistermike40 Private E-2

Thanks but that doesn't work. I found out that the "Show window previews (thumbnails)" selection when you right-click on the taskbar is greyed out... it won't let me select it. I think that's the key to everything.

And I've tried everything I could find on the web... edit registry, check to make sure processes are running, aero enabled, etc... no luck.

Any other ideas?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You need to click on View or Views, on Windows Explorer window Menu bar, and have it set to either Medium Icons, Large Icons, or Extra Large Icons to see a thumbnail preview of the file image as the icon.

If thumbnails will still not show on the file icon even with thumbnails turned on, then check to make sure that Windows Photo Gallery is set as the default program.
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/83196-default-programs-program-default-associations.html

5. mistermike40

mistermike40 Private E-2

Thanks a lot but neither worked :( When I went to set Windows Photo Gallery as the default viewer I had no choice... there were all selected but greyed out, I couldn't change any settings.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds