Can't Shutdown, and slow Restart

Discussion in 'Software' started by eclayton, May 31, 2003.

1. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

This is 2 questions: When I go to Start/Shutdown and try to shutdown, it only restarts my system. I would like to fix this so I don't have to turn the computer off using the power button.

Secondly, my shutdown/restart time is around 3 minutes. I read about a registry tweak in MustangPC thread, but I would like more detailed help if anyone can give me any!!

I run Windows 2000 professional
    AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 ghz
    40 gig hard drive
    512 DDR RAM

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

run ad-aware to check for spyware. Do as scouse says to check for a service problem, kill programs before shutdown one at a time to find the one causing the problem.

3. eclayton

scouse and FW
    I right-clicked My computer/Manage/Computer management (local)/Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery. Under recovery, it says “if system stops unexpectedly……then I checked "automatically reboot". I know you had suggested unticking it, but it wasn't checked off anyway, so I checked it, just to see what would happen!!

I never got to any blue screen, are you sure we’re talking about Windows 2000 Professional and not XP?

I also did the following things:
    1.Uninstalled the Windows patch, Q811493
    2.Ran Ad-Aware, and found the following:
    a)Major Geeks gives us four tracking cookies! :(
    b)Yahoo Sports gives me one or two tracking cookies
    c)Ebay gives us a tracking cookie
    d)The Ebay tracking cookie seems to be the one that causes the computer to restart instead of shutdown!

In the thread Slow Shutdown by MustangPC it mentioned the following things:

Posted by Robo:
    "Some other things that can contribute to the slowdown:

Security Update #329170
    Too many Restore Points
    Clear PageFile
    Fast User Switching
    NVidia Driver Helper
    Indexing
    Machine Debug

Try disabling these, and you should see a big difference..."

and….

Posted by dalic:
    "Windows xp has the service shutdown time set to 20000 ms which equals 20 secs (no wonder it takes so long).
    Go to regedit and change the key :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Con
    trol\\WaitToKillServiceTimeout

I set mine to 0 ms and now i shutdown way fast. Experiment with the settings."

I did the following, even though they were referring to Windows XP
    1.Removed Security update #329170
    2.disabled Nvidia Driver Helper
    3.disabled indexing….I think……not sure I disabled the right thing
    4.Changed the Registry key! (my first time messing with the Registry!! :) )

I could not figure out how to clear the pagefile, machine debug, fast user switching, or too many restore points. Can you guys walk me through this?

What I have accomplished though, is faster boot up and shutdown, and I know who the culprit is with my shutdown problem, that darned Ebay Tracking cookie.....Spyware really fouls things up, it ought to be outlawed!

I still would like faster startup. My shutdown time is now around 4 seconds!!!!! My startup time is around a minute and 25 seconds, which is pretty fast, but it any of the above things will help, I’d love it to be even faster!! Man I’m hard to please!!

Thanks scouse and FW190 for your help!!

Eric

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Good for you Eric, I did all of the above and I'm into Google's 5th page amd I'm still at 3 1/2 min to shutdown. The hunt continues.

augie

5. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

goto the front page and get startup.cpl
    this is an add in control panel for you to manage what starts up with the system. Since MS decided to leave msconfig out of 2K you'll have to use that.

6. eclayton

Hey there, robo, you didn't mislead me, you were replying to someone elses thread, but since it was a similar problem, I thought some of it might apply, so I went for it, and some of it seemed to help!!

I'm super happy with my shut down time, only a moron would not be satisfied with a 4 second shutdown time! But, myself sometimes resembling a moron, I was hoping for a faster startup time, even though things are much faster than they used to be, and if I can't speed it up, a minute twenty five for startup is definately easy to live with!!

I'm gonna try startup.cpl that FW suggested and see what that gets me, and I'll report back.

Good luck to everyone else with their startup times!!!! :)

Eric

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds