Can't sign into Windows Live Messenger 9...error 80040154

Discussion in 'Software' started by lucyford, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucyford

lucyford Private E-2

Everytime I try to sign in I get

''We can't sign you into Windows Live Messenger.
    Signing into Windows Live Messenger failed becasue the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
    Error code 80040154''

[​IMG]

This has been going on for about a month, I've unistalled and reinstalled at least 5 times, I've tried downloading contacts.msi & Windows Live Communication platform, reregistering the Msxml3.dll file, reinstalled the XML Parser, but nothing works! I'm, still getting the same error message. :cry

Anybody know how to fix this?

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Lucy and welcome to Majorgeeks :),

I'll assume that you've worked through this topic successfully, yes?

Which Windows version and Service Pack lvl are you using? What firewalls, antivirus, antispyware programs do you have currently installed? Any others that were previously installed?

You can login ok from a different PC, yes?

3. lucyford

lucyford Private E-2

Hi :)

Yes I have worked through that topic, it hasn't worked though.

I have Windows XP SP2, and Kaspersky IS 2009 installed

and I can log in fine from other PC's and on eBuddy

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Ok, do you have WLMail installed too? If you do, uninstall then reboot and redownload and reinstall it - if you don't have it, download and install it. As they both use many common files, this may fix it for you.

5. lucyford

lucyford Private E-2

Ok, i'll download it now and see if that helps

6. lucyford

lucyford Private E-2

Nope, still not working

7. lucyford

lucyford Private E-2

Hmmm I've just tried to open it and it says ''Windows Live Mail could not be started. It may not be installed correctly. Make sure that your disk is not full or that you are not out of memory. (0x80040154. 1008)

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If that doesnt help then try this from Jonathan Kay HERE

and re-register this file softpub.dll by using this command from Start > Run > and typing regsvr32 softpub.dll and hit enter.

9. lucyford

lucyford Private E-2

Ahhh it's still not working

Thanks for all the help though :)

10. Binaryfreek

Binaryfreek Private First Class

(just a small addition) - If the messenger still won't log-in, try un-checking, and then re-check the Live Messenger in the Windows firewall setting's list.
    Worx4me. (Win XpPro SP3)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds