Can't tell if mobo or CPU is burned out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aftermath206, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Aftermath206

Aftermath206 Private E-2

Hi, my pc has had a problem recently, and i've had it for about a year. a couple nights ago the computer abruptly shut down and i didn't think it was anything and i tried to turn it on the next day, but on my monitor it says "check signal". the computer is on, the lights and fans are running. i've tested the vid card and it's fine, and so is the monitor. i think it's either the PSU, the CPU, or motherboard. i was wondering if the CPU's fan can still be running if the CPU is burned out too. i need help in determining what piece to replace, thanks

my specs are:
    AMD athlon 64 3800+
    ATI radeon x1600 pro 512 mb agp
    1 gb ddr2 ram
    sound blaster audio
    about 600w psu
    my motherboard is a Gigabyte brand

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hello Aftermath, welcome to Major Geeks.

You have obviously opened the case, so what was it like inside?
    Was anything clogged up with dirt?
    Was there any signs of goo around any of the motherboard components or burning on the board?
    See

http://www.badcaps.net/

Sometimes the problem can be caused because the modules move about in their seating due to thermal expansion/contraction. A simple removal of pluggable components and reseating will restore function. (processor/memory/cable connectors/expansion cards).

Is your board dual channel memory?
    If so failure of one module will precipitate the problem.

Let us know how you get on

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds