Can't tile or Center desktop background

Discussion in 'Software' started by jools1976, Apr 29, 2014.

1. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

I have a weird problem. Recently I went to change my desktop background, and I can only use the 'fill' orientation. So, if I try to change it to center or tile, nothing changes, it just stays as is. I checked around on the net and some people were suggesting to open the image in Paint and change my background from there, but I am unable to get the 'set as desktop background' option when right-clicking the image in Paint. And even if I could, I shouldn't really have to go through all that to get a tiled layout. Has anybody ever run across this before? Thanks.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

and your version of Windows is?
    What is the extension on the image you want to use?

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have custom images (blue-eyed tigers) as my wallpapers. Right click the image and select Preview (in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer). Once the preview is opened, right click and select Set as Desktop background. After the image is set as background you MAY then be able to tile or center it. I use this method for XP and Vista.

4. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

plodr:

Sorry my bad..... Win 7 Home Prem and it's happening with .JPG, .TIF, and .BMP.

mdonah:

That's exactly how I did it... Won't tile or center though.

5. plodr

Right click the desktop and select Personalize.
    Click Desktop Background near the bottom left.
    Again near the bottom left, you see Picture Position.
    Click the Down Arrow. So you see all the options?
    If so, select Tile and be sure to click Save Changes before you close this window.

6. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Nah same thing.... image still wont change.

7. plodr

You didn't specify, all the options are visible just not working?

Before I spend time doing research, I like to know exactly what the problem is.
    Is the computer an HP?

If so, download this
    Code:
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45501-46000/sp45575.exe
    This package provides the Wallpaper Picture Position Enabler for the supported
    notebook/laptop models and operating systems. The Wallpaper Picture Position
    Enabler enables the Wallpaper Background Picture Position function to be changed
    from Stretched to Fill, Fit, Tile, or Center.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  8. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

The options are available, and it holding them too (I select tiled and if I restart and go back it still on tiled), they just aren't affecting the desktop.

9. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Here's a little more info I discovered today... If I open the picture in MS Office Picture Manager (Comes as part of MS Office for anybody that isn't familiar) it works fine. It'll tile, fill, stretch, etc... But not when I set the image from anywhere else (That I've tried anyway). It's a workaround, but something's still not working right cause I shouldn't have to do it that way.

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

Any picture, or just certain ones? Can you upload the pic to us, so we can try to mimic your situation?

11. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

12. plodr

The dimensions on that image are huge, 1280 x 702. If all your images are that large, the picture won't center or tile. You need to choose pictures with smaller dimensions.

I just tested this by downloading your image. It would only fill on my computer (7 Home Premium, 32 bit). I then downloaded something much smaller, a 296 x 444 image. I was able to tile and center this because of the dimensions.

So check the dimensions of the images you want to use (right click, select properties then the Details tab). You might need to decrease sizes if you wish to center or tile.

13. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Makes sense.... I wonder why it works in MS Office Pic Manager though....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds