can't turn off autocomplete in IE

Discussion in 'Software' started by TB2, Mar 6, 2005.

1. TB2

TB2 Private E-2

I've gone through the steps to turn off Autocomplete (Tools/Internet Options/...Clear Forms/ Clear Passwords and Search/ Change Preferences/ Turn Off Autocomplete) in IE but it still won't turn off. Also have a few URL's that show when typing 'www' even though I haven't accessed them lately and have deleted history. Any suggestions?

2. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

3. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

For the typed URL's. Download and Run CCleaner

This will also remove Auto-Complete entries.

4. TB2

TB2 Private E-2

I also had Firefox installed but had the same problem. I had some changes made on my computer, didn't like it so I did a system restore. That's when I had the problem with autocomplete; it was off before the changes were made.

5. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

TB2,

Did you install and run CCleaner as per my instructions in post #3 ?

6. TB2

TB2 Private E-2

Haven't run CCleaner yet as I'm at work and the problem is with my home PC. Yesterday when we (a friend of mine did it as I'm still a newbie) installed Spysweeper and another firewall I lost connection to the internet each time and we had to remove it. He said it looked like spyware is embedded in my registry. (?)

Do you think CCleaner would solve this or just cause me to lose my internet again? I've heard mixed things about CCleaner-would it be considered a harsh solution? Is there somewhere I can download it from this site? (again I'm still a newbie). Thanks for the assistance guys, I appreciate it.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You have another couple of ways to turn off AutoComplete if its being stubborn.... now I'm guessing you have XP so if you dont have XP then TweakUI will be a different download.

1. Get ahold of Tweak UI for XP http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=710 once installed, run it and goto this location.... Common Dialog's and untick AutoComplete > Apply

or and only attempt editing the registry if you are confident in doing so, is well work backing up the registry before editing.

2. Goto Start > Run > type regedit > ok ... then find your way to this key location HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoComplete\AutoSuggest and change the "yes" to "no" (don't type the quotes) in the registry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds