Can't Uncheck Recycle Bin "Display delete confirmation dialog"

Discussion in 'Software' started by petejc, Oct 1, 2010.

1. petejc

petejc Private E-2

I have been fighting this problem for years. I have an unanswered post on this subject back in 6/20/09.

I'm running XP, I want to stop being asked if I really want to send a file to the recycle bin. All over the net, everybody says just right click on Recycle Bin and uncheck the box. Well I can't because it is "grayed out".

[​IMG]

I thought it might be because my C: drive was fat32. I just converted and it to NTFS and that didn't help.

There must be someplace in the registry that can change that. Anybody know where? If not, anybody know how to find out what all those registry enteries mean and do?

Thanks In Advance
    Pete

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Most likely an Admin and/or Group Policy thing - try the steps listed here - click 'Disabled' in the Admin Templates section.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

While you have multiple HDDs or Partitions, in the other tabs do they allow you to tick that box to delete files without a prompt, over using the option in global settings?

You can offhand use a registry hack to bypas this tick box if your game and ok with editing the registry?

If your Ok with editing the registry then try the below:
    Open Regedit and then navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\

Then right click in the right hand window and choose New > Dword and call it NoRecycleFiles (do type exactly, no spaces) and give it a Value of 1 and then close regedit and reboot and try a delete of a file.

4. petejc

petejc Private E-2

Caliban,
    Great!! Thanks!! That link solved my problem. The check box is now the normal color and can be checked or unchecked,

Halo,

Thanks also. I didn't have to use that but it is nice to know.

Pete

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Good job, Pete - glad you got it, and thanks for the feedback! :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds