Can't uninstall GFI Back-up 2009 Home Edition

Discussion in 'Software' started by John126w, Dec 29, 2012.

1. John126w

John126w Private E-2

No matter what I do I can not uninstall GFI Back-up 2009 Home Edition software. I run the windows uninstaller and it doesn't get rid of it. The company's website isn't much help either, it tells me to try running some files that don't exist on my computer. Any ideas on what I should try? Thanks in advance.

- John

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

3. John126w

John126w Private E-2

Yes, I tried the normal uninstall and it can't find a .log file.

Just tried running the program you suggested and it shows 0bytes filesize. Ran the uninstall through it and again gave the "can't find .log file". Then advanced found 6 Registry Keys. Should I delete them? Would that eliminate it all?

- John

4. John126w

John126w Private E-2

Attached is what I get. Yesterday I tried re-installing the program to see if it would re-create the .log file needed so I could uninstall it but it didn't (Originally I installed this program about a year and a half ago).

- John

Attached Files:

5. John126w

John126w Private E-2

Anyone else have any ideas? It's still on there and can't get it to uninstall.

- John

6. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just for the record...do you run a cleaner like CCleaner? It and others do remove .log files. If GFI 2009 is set to use a Windows .log file during uninstallation and if it has been removed, that would cause the error.

I had an experience where a program deleted the Windows installer. Nothing would install, and some programs wouldn't open. I had to eventually run a "repair" installation on XP to get the Windows Installer back. Then I had to do some other fixes like reinstall Flash and Shockwave. Perhaps restoring Windows would restore the missing .log for you...if it's a Windows .log.

If you have the name of the .log file, maybe it would help to Google it and see if it is a Windows .log. BTW, in XP the "repair" option is great, and I think underrated. You will only lose updates, which you can easily retrieve again. All of your data is preserved, and it might restore the .log file. Pretty sure Vista and 7 repair features are even better, although I don't have experience with them...

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Look here
    C:\Program Files\GFI\GFI Backup 2009 - Home Edition\unwise.exe

Do you have an INSTALL.LOG or Install.Log file in there?

If so, drag that file with the mouse over the uninstall.exe file and release the mouse button.

8. John126w

John126w Private E-2

I do run CCleaner fairly regular, so maybe that's what happend to it. I'll try searching Google and attempting a Windows 7 Repair option (if I can find my install disc....or download the file).

- John

9. John126w

John126w Private E-2

Nope, not there. That was the suggestion I found on the mfg website but both the install.log and the unwise.exe files do not exist in the GFI folders.

- John

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds