Can't uninstall or reinstall "JAVA"..

Discussion in 'Software' started by bracgypsy, Jan 8, 2007.

1. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

I am having trouble uninstalling Java, and reinstalling. When I go to my Java Plug-in Icon and I try to open it, it gives me a window it says: "The System cannot find the registry key specified"
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Javaruntime Environment\1.5.0_01

Also when I go to Control Panel / add and remove, Java isn't there to uninstall.

Also when I check on Java updates this is what I get:

We encountered an issue while trying to automatically install Java software onto your machine.
    http://java.com/en/img/download/alert-activex.gif

If you encounter an error, check the top of the browser (see image above) for a yellow bar that reads "This site might require the following ActiveX control: J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10 from 'Sun Microsystems, Inc.'. Click here to install..." Click the yellow bar and choose "Install ActiveX Control..." to allow installation to proceed.

I do all the above and nothing is happening! I am running Windows 98 second ad. I haven't ran this PC is while so I am not sure about all this.

This all started when an automatic Update came in for my AVG virus detector. I lost every program on my PC when this update came in. Everything just stopped working, no programs would even open. Also nothing, and I mean nothing, not one program name was is my Control Panel [add/remove]..... I had to reload windows, but still none of my programs worked. That happened about a month ago. I have now all my programs back up and running except "JAVA".

What do you guys think could be wrong? Java still isn't showing in my Control Panel, [add/remove], so I can't uninstall something that isn't there as a "NAME PROGRAM"... BUT the Icon is in "My Computer"/Control Panel". But that will not open. This is really strange! confused confused .... I am about ready to do VOO DOO dancing around my PC, ya think that might help???.....

Thanks!!

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Sounds like you have either lost or already uninstalled Java on your PC, but some things, like the icon on the desktop, remained after the removal. The updates won't work simply because you no longer have the core program installed.

Use CCleaner, which you can download from here if you dont already have it. Run the cleaner, then once cleaned, click on Issues and scan for those too.

Reboot, then attempt to reinstall Java.

3. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

Ok I tried everything you said, with the CCleaner. Then rebooted, went to the Java site and ran the Check Configuration, and it said all the same thing that I posted in my first posting. I even tried a Manual Download, when I downloaded the exe and try to run the program again, what happens is a box pops up and quickly goes away..... This has all happened before, That just slipped my mind to tell anyone about it in my first posting...

Any other ideas?

I am lost and!! confused

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Shutdown AVG / Firewall and click on the .exe, see if it works.

Steve

5. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

Ok I shut down AVG, I am not using any type of a firewall. I clicked on the Java exe, {is that right]? and all I got was the same quick box popping up.... I really think I am going to do a VOO DOO dance!! ;)

Anything other ideas?

Thanks!!

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Have you been having trouble with spyware?

Can you open and install anything?

Steve

7. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

At first I couldn't open anything, then when I checked in the add/remove nothing was there, no program names was listed at all. Some of the smaller programs were still working on the desk top... I have a small program called RegCleaner, in the uninstall menu of that program, it said all my programs were there. So I had to uninstall them all from there, then run the REG cleaner. After that I was able to reinstall all the programs I was using, all but Java. I even lost Microsoft Word, and all the other Microsoft programs. I had to download a older versons "97" "ones I have on disk". Now they all work.

BUT Everytime I click on the java Icon I get:::: "The System cannot find the registry key specified"

I am lost on this one.....

Thanks..

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

9. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

10. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

There should be a icon that looks like this when you downloaded the file.
    Double click on the icon and follow the instructions given to install.

Attached Files:

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  12. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

Yes, but when I clicked to run it a box popped up and said:

Thing is now, I haven't a clue where it's at. I am cooked, that's it.... :cry

Now what?

Thanks!!

13. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

Ok I tried that too, The program "jre-1_5_0_10-windows-i586-p-s.exe" would not even open to run... I am not at all understanding this.. I have been at this a month or better. Tried everything that everyone here as suggested, and a few friends here on the Island too.

Could I have a bad Registry file? Is that what the means? THIS is a box that pops up when I try to "OPEN" the Java's Icon in my Control panel. IT SAYS: "The System cannot find the registry key specified"

If my system can not find the Registry file for Java, then could that be why JAVA is not uninstalling or installing?

Thanks again,
    I am sorry to be such a bother with all this.

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

When ye state that you couldn't run or open the link I gave...How large was the file, when ye downloaded it?

15. theefool

theefool Geekified

16. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

No, it gave this page saying:
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /files/jre6.exe on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Hummmmmmmm!!confused

17. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

It say's it's 16,202 kb in size.

18. theefool

theefool Geekified

Same with me. :( ugh, sorry.

19. theefool

theefool Geekified

Can ye migrate to:

20. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

Do you mean Start/run {regedit} ??

21. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yes, sorry. :)

22. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

23. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

Steve, I downloaded the "Windows Installer Cleanup" and after it installed, to my programs I clicked to open it, and box popped up saying: "This utility requires that the Windows Installer be installed and properly registered" I clicked to close the box, thinking the W.I.C. program will open, and nothing opens at all.

I am not sure what that's about!! confused

24. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Click on Start > Run and type REGSVR32 MSI.DLL then click on OK.

Try the utility again.

Steve

25. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

This is what my Registry Editor Says about Java....

"JavaSoft" (Default) value not set.

"Java update" (Default) value not set.

"Policy" (Default) value not set.
    Country "US"
    PostStatus Url "http://sjremetrics.Java.com/6/ss//6"

When I "right click on folder" and {Copy Key name}
    "Java Soft" HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft

"Java Update" HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update

"Policy" HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy

Is all this right?

26. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

That worked.... The W.I.C. is working now.... The J2SE Runtime Evironment 5.0 update 1 is there but nothing else about "Java" there. There are also about 6 more programs there.

Now what do I do? Do I remove it?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  27. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Yes. Then try to download and install java again.

Steve

ps. What's the weather at "the brac"?

28. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

Ok... I tried running this Java first "jre-1_5_0_10-windows-i586-p-s.exe" I got an Error saying this.... "Installer: Wrapper. Createfile failed with error 32: The process can not access the file because it is being used by another process"

Then I tried this one: "jre-1_5_0_10-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe" and nothing would happen other than a box quickly pops up and poof it's gone.

Ok back to the drawing board.... confused

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The weather is great, sunny, breesy, hot 90s today. I can say so far the temperture hasn't dropped any lower than 74 degrees this winter. There really isn't a winter here to speak of to tell the truth... :D The sea is outstandingly clear today, divers have at least 100 to 150 feet visibility. We only have about 1400 people living here year round, we get about 700 to 800 divers every week that come from all parts of the world. It's a great and safe place to live. Thanks for asking.... ;)

29. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

30. theefool

theefool Geekified

Did ye reboot after using the windows installer cleanup tool?

31. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

I just wanted to drop back in to say to everyone here thank you for everything. I did get the problem fixed. I never got Java uninstalled..... BUT I did get it working... Don't ask me how, it's just one of those VOO DOO things I guess... :D I did decide to retire that old PC, and get myself a new one last night. I bought a 1 year old PC from friend here on the Brac. It's a Desk top Toshiba "M500D" Pentlum 3. {what ever that means} confused which I might upgrade to XP soon, but not right now. It's says it's a Server, which I know nothing about. I am still learning things about it right now. If I have any problems with it, I know where to come and ask questions..... :) All you guys were a BIG help......

Thanks again......;) :clap

32. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Glad you got it going........voodoo or not. :)

I wish we could have figured it out for you. Congrats on the new system.

Sounds like the perfect place to live. :cool There was an older lady in our community here that has a house there. I remember reading the article years ago, she loved it there. Probably still there I suppose.

Steve

33. bracgypsy

bracgypsy Private E-2

Steve, do you remember her name? I know everyone that lives here!! :D

34. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

No, can't remember. I think I have the article tucked away somewhere, I will try and find it later and send you a Private Message, if you don't mind. :)

It was kind of interesting really. She still owns a big house here and came back one year and the telephone company had "ran" something thru her property without checking with anyone. She was pissed. :D

I will get back to you. :)

Steve

35. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

bracgypsy,

You don't have your Private Messaging enabled, I can't contact you.

Look in the upper left coner of the main forum page and click on User CP then look for Edit Options on the left-hand side. Click on it and scroll down to Private Messaging and put a check in the box that says Enable Private Messaging.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds