Can't update to SP2 "access denied 0x 80070005"

Discussion in 'Software' started by scottvstn, Jul 7, 2006.

1. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

The problem I am running into is windows had to be repaired. In the task bar is a blue star that reads "this versions of windows xp is no longer up to date". When I try to update to SP2 it will go almost to the end and give me a error 0x 80070005 access denied. Then it reads "installation didnt complete windows xp has been partually updated & may not work properely". Then it reverts back to where I started and uninstalls everything. I am log on as the adm. I have tried downloading the file as well and get the same error. Looked on windows site but nothing they had has helped. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Please see this link which contains the resolution for that error code.

3. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

ok, i went to the link and downloaded WGA Diagnostic Tool. now what?

4. beva

beva Private E-2

5. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

i already have the sp2 file (266mb) file downloaded to my desktop. still get the above error. the wga tells me it is a genuine version. which i already know.

6. mgpower0

mgpower0 Corporal

you may have already done this but have you tried booting in safe mode with networking and tried to install then. I got the exact same message trying to install IE7 Beta 3, even though my normal account is administrator accnt. Kept saying installation didn't complete ie 7 has been partially updated etc. Log showed that for certain registry changes the insall makes access was denied. booted in safe with networking and it installed first time.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

A quick small question. Is this Home or Pro for XP?

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

When installing did you also disable all your security programs as one of them may hinder the install process updating registry components?

Are you sure you are Malware free, as having malware on your PC will and can crash the update process.

9. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

Xp Home edition. i have tried without avast on and off. malware free as well. also tried safe mode with networking. same results.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Apart from Avast you have any other security software?

Spybot S&D for example.

11. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

This is a simple permission problem. There is an update out there that is corrupting account permissions, but it is easy to fix.

Download DAF http://djlizard.net/software/Dial-a-fix-medium.exe

Lauch DAF > Tools > Permissions > Go > Reboot

Now try installing. It should work like a charm. :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  12. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

To the forum members who will be disgruntled that I used a download link that isn't a MG download. There is a very important reason that I used the link that I did.

DAF has 3 different builds. Light, Med, and Full. MG's only offers the Full download, and XPHome users must only use the Med build of DAF.

13. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

One more thing. In order to install these programs, or use the permissions fix in DAF you must be the Administrator.

I just checked, and that hasn't been mentioned so that could be the problem as well, although unlikely I suppose.

14. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

thank you so much krit86lr. DAF took care of the problem. have a good week.

15. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

You're welcome. The thanks goes to DjLizard, the author of such a handy tool. ;) You have a good week too.

16. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

krit, sorry to trouble you again.

I now can't access my exteral drives. I have 2 western digital drives. When I try to open them I get the error "The disk is not formatted, would you like to format them now?". I know both of them had worked prior the the windows xp problem and both of them have tons of pictures and files I would prefer not to lose. I know about backing up. I didn't expect that each one, which has a backup of the other would stop working at the same time. What is causing this problem and how do I recover the data without a format. Thank you again in advance.

17. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Did that error begin before, or after installing SP2?

18. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

i had sp2 on before having to repair. at that time both externals worked just fine.

19. theefool

theefool Geekified

How are the external hard drives hooked up? USB?

20. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

yes, usb. tried all ports on computer. also tried to read the drives with my wife's laptop. same problem.

21. theefool

theefool Geekified

Out of curiosity, was both drives hooked up when you upgraded to sp2?

Also, what does disk managment say? (Right click on my computer, select manage, select disk management).

22. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

1st thing it does when i clich disk managment is the following error "snap-in failed to initialized name:disk defragmenter CLSID:{43668E21-2636-11D1-A1CE-0080C88593A5. Then when I click ok and go to disk management I get the following:

see jpeg attachment of screen

Attached Files:

23. theefool

theefool Geekified

To fix the "snap in failed...disk defragmenter..." error.

Do the following:

START, RUN, type in

regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll (press enter)
    regsvr32 dfrgui.dll (press enter)

For your initial issue, I assume that Disk 2 is one of your external drives?

Seeing H: as your "healthy/sytem" drive is worrying. Do you have any SD connectors on your computer? As in, card readers for cameras?

When you click START, then RUN, then type in: CMD (press enter).

Do you get an h:\ prompt or a c:\ prompt?

Type---- exit (enter) to quit.

Side note #105: Was H:\ always this, or only after the upgrade?

Sorry for the late reply, vista BETA had a hickup during my defrag with BETA diskeeper. Woohoo running a beta os, with a beta defrag program!

24. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

yes, disk 2 is one of the externals. i have not powered the other one on. i did the above. H has always been my main drive. one of my external does have 2 cards readers built into it (1 sd and 1 cf).

i do get h: with cmd command

25. theefool

theefool Geekified

So, in your case, you can not access M:\ ?

It may take me awhile to reply, making dinner.

Once again, during the sp2 upgrade, did you have either drive powered up and connected?

26. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

still cant access m:\

dont think either of the 2 ext. drives were on when sp2 was reinstalled. however, i am not sure.

enjoy your dinner. thank you again.

27. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

theefool, any other ideas? or anyone else? I tried getdataback NTFS which didnt work to recover any files. what if i were to format the drives and then try to get back the files? I also tried a program to repair partitions which didnt work as well. so what is next?

28. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

recovery expert from acronis is the partitions prg i tried

29. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

anyone ?

30. scottvstn

scottvstn Private E-2

thank you to all that added help. i had to format both of the drives. if this might happen to anyone else use http://www.recovermyfiles.com

it is very time consuming but did get all of my pictures and data back. it is the ONLY program that was able to get them back.

31. Teresarehss

Teresarehss Private E-2

Thank You Thank You Thank You - This Worked For Me Too. It Also Cleared Up Some Other Issues I Had And Now I Can Run My Yahoo Spy Scan Where I Couldn't Before! You're The Best! And Thanks Major Geeks Too For These Forums.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds