Can't Upgrade To Windows 10 'something Happenned' 'windows 10 Installation Has Failed'

Discussion in 'Software' started by csjjpm, Dec 21, 2015.

1. csjjpm

csjjpm Private E-2

I have a Samsung Serie 7 Chronos with Windows 7 64 SP1 fully patched.
    My AV is MSE.
    I had a problem in the past with MSE not installing or updating and then Windows Updates didn't work so I used the Tweaking Windows Repair tool which fixed both problems.
    I've downloaded the offline installer. It is in an ESD folder on the root of my disk.
    It goes through the motions and gets to 40%, jumps to 83% then says 'your pc will restart in a few minutes' and says it will reboot. It fails to do reboot Can't upgrade to Windows 10 'Something happenned' 'Windows 10 installation has failed'
    thanks
    Paul

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You can't simply install 10 using the offline installer, you must first upgrade the existing OS using the GWX icon which should be present in your system tray. That initiates a 3GB download. Only after the upgrade has completed can you do a clean install.

3. csjjpm

csjjpm Private E-2

Funny that since I've 'simply installed' 10 over a number of systems without the GWX icon. Every one so far has upgraded fine.

4. Earthling

Then none of those systems is correctly registered on MS servers and may run into validation issues or reset problems at some point. Have a read HERE

5. csjjpm

csjjpm Private E-2

Nope, discovered what it was. My laptop is a company one with Windows 7 Enterprise with a MAK key and of course you can't upgrade Ent. Only realised when I was looking through a guide and the penny dropped.
    Thanks for your help, you prompted me to check.

6. Earthling

Every article you find on this stresses the need for an in-place upgrade before performing a clean install, otherwise activation may be compromised. I haven't tried installing 10 myself without doing so first and I'm not tempted to try it.

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Actually a user with a qualifying system for the free upgrade can download win 10 burn an iso disc and install it that way if they so wish in certain circumstances. That's explained in this MS guide, which gives the GWX upgrade as the recommended option which they prefer a user to choose, and the offline one as well:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    But as it says, the downside in not using the GWX 'upgrade' option as the primary install method is that an offline download install will likely mean the user cannot revert back to Win 7 or 8 after. But it does allow either method.
    The issue of what existing systems, ie any Enterprise edition, that do not qualify is also explained.

Earthling likes this.
  8. Earthling

Well that certainly nails the issue down, thanks :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds