Can't use two 512mb sticks without computer messing up.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcduke, Nov 18, 2006.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

My friend has a msi motherboard with athlon xp 3200 cpu. He was using two memory slots each having a 256mb stick, then he purchased a Kingston KBR 400/512R 512mb stick and kept one of the 256mb sticks. Next he purchased another Kingston 512mb stick and I installed it for him. Then he started having problems. The fatal blue screen of death page default :0X0000008E(0XC0000005,0X8054E339,0XF868E98C,0X00000000). I've used each memory stick in a different slot and everything works fine when I'm just using one of the 512mb sticks, regardless of which slot I have it in, but the second I use both memory sticks I get the errors. Both memory sticks are Kingston and are the same type memory. Anyone have any idea why this is happening???:eek:

2. candle_86

candle_86 Private E-2

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

4. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

both sticks ran flawlessly when used alone in either slot (used for days with various programs - mostly games) . But when both where used together the above mentioned problem showed up. Both sticks are the same manufacturer and type. I do suspect a problem with slot 2 for the memory stick though, but a stick in that slot ran for a few days with no problems. Is there a program that tests memory slots?

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Check to see if there is a bios update for the board.

Also, what model of MSI does he have?

6. Goldheart

Goldheart Private E-2

Motherboards are very picky about the types of memory. Some will work fine with any old brands mixed up. Some will only work if you have the very best. Most are somewhere in between these two extremes.

The only real way to know for sure if your memory will work is to install it and test it.

Locate and download the Microsoft Memory Diagnostic ISO and burn it to a CD. When you need to test memory just insert that cd and boot from it. Allow it to run for at least one complete pass. If you get any errors then there is an issue. If not, then 99% of the time the memory is fine.

Things to try: Swap the memory chip locations. Clean the memory pins and slots (be aware of ESD). If your motherboard BIOS supports it, loosen the memory timing settings by adjusting manually. (For example, change CL 2.0 to 2.5 or 3.0. Adjust the voltage a hair higher). Try using the other 256 module instead.

As mentioned by a previous poster, you can try updating the BIOS. I only recommend this as a method of last resort as a failed update can render the motherboard useless.

7. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

For the sake of complete clarity, can you confirm the following. You are getting BSOD once your pc has booted and you get onto the desktop. Your pc goes through the post process ok and you get a single beep.

Please confirm what you have done so far

1. Run memtest86 on each separate module and then with both modules together. Memtest86 boots to dos so you should have no problem running it since you had no ram errors at post.

2. When booted to XP and using both modules, have you tried all permutations of slots and modules. Although you do not state what mobo you have, from what you are saying it looks like you have a mobo running a 3200 200fsb barton.

Sometimes the best slot combo for the older XP MSI boards was slot 1 & 3 with slots 2 & 3 the next best combination.

Good Luck

8. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Thanks for the advice guys. My friend went to visit his daughter for acouple of weeks , so I can't try and suggestions until he gets back. Thanks, Mcduke

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds