Capturing a Printer Port in XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by ItsWendy, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I use a shared printer on my LAN, the computer actually connected to the printer is a Win98SE box.

I tried capturing the printer port on XP, the option is there but inaccessable, due to it being a LAN printer. Any ideas? I can do it in Win98SE, but XP doesn't seem possible.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Please review the instructions at this link. Would this help your situation, Bill? Doing it Commando Prompt style?

3. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I was trying to use the properties. I want the LPT connected because I also use GW Basic, and it needs the printer port. My Dad would like it too, I have some simple math utilities I've had for decades and upgraded on every computer I've ever used, starting with the TRS80, then the C64/128, 98SE, and now the XP setup.

Thanks. When I try it out I'll leave feedback. Looks very promising.

4. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I never said thanks, for which I apologize. Worked like a charm. Like the website too, good reference.

How do I undo it? I occasionally use the same printer port for a laser printer. Of course, it might be worth either buying a new printer port, or redesignating this one to LPT2.

Even if I don't figure this out, I'm ahead in the game. Thanks for the help.

5. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I was thinking (it hurt!). The original command format is:

NET USE LPT1 \\SERVER\PRINTER /PERSISTENT:YES

Would this undo it? I don't really want to try it without advice, because I want to be able to redo it again.

NET USE LPT1 \\SERVER\PRINTER /PERSISTENT:NO

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

yes that would be fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds