Capturing video stream from screen?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Roystacy, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Roystacy

Roystacy Private First Class

Okay, here is another question that I am sure will drive you guys crazy since you'll wonder how I even know how to turn a computer on. I am looking for software that can capture a video stream that is being shown on my computer screen. The reason is simple. I need to be able to edit a video by taking clips out of it as well as stills. I can do the stills in Media Player no problem. But now I need to edit video clips to show just three seconds as opposed to 5 minutes of a portion of video. So, I figured if there was a program that could basically video-tape (not lingo sauve yet) whatever ran across my screen, I could tape that, and then drag it into like Movie Maker and edit it and put back together in a presentation. Sounds convoluted, I know and for that I apologize, but I really need to get this idea down in hard, tangible (okay I know not tangible), viewable, workable format.

Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if there are any online classes for things like how to manuever around various software, like Excel or similar, I'd be a happy camper. Take care.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

A little more info please..
    Where are the videos originating? website? as in streaming or your own folders?
    What operating system do you use?

3. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

4. Roystacy

I am using Media Player 9 with a codec that only works with Media Player 9. Therefore I can not use Producer or Movie Maker to edit the clips. My computer is a standard Dell with XP. When I tried to use MovieMaker, PowerPoint or Producer, I get a black screen each time. I need the end product to be usable in whatever computer I send it to (opposing counsel). The video clips are on CDs rather than DVDs. Since I cannot use the stuff I have loaded to get the clips viewable, I figured I could just run the clips and have something "capture" it while it ran. Then maybe I can work with that program to edit, put in sound (narration) and fade ins and outs. Sorry if I am not using the proper lingo. Thanks for your help.

5. Roystacy

Re: Capturing video stream from screen? -> Cam Studio

Hello. Okay, I read a bunch of older postings and they referred to Cam Studio. I downloaded it and ran well. Then when I close out the video that I was "recording", the CamStudio's screen went black. This happened before when I tried using PowerPoint and even Movie Maker. What did I do wrong? CamStudio was supposed to record whatever happened on my screen. Thanks.

6. TheSaintOfPain

TheSaintOfPain Private First Class

What are the settings under "Video Options" you have set? I have CamStudio myself, though I don't know what would work best with WMP9, since I use WMP11, since I imagine they'd have to be different in some ways, due to compatibility, codecs, etc. Any info about what options are set could help with fixing the problem.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  7. Roystacy

I am using a MP9 to watch a DVD that was created by our client. I used Any Video Converter and now I can see the video fine. Although it has been converted to avi, Movie Maker says cannot use the clips. I have tried Cam Studio and ACA Screen recorder, but I end up with the same results: Nothing I use can do anything with this video. The Screen Recorders just show a black screen. I am willing to pay for a program but the problem is I don't want to pay only to find out it doesn't work in this instance. I have tried a bunch of programs from MG's freeware/shareware but have still come up empty handed. Is there some program someone knows for sure will capture the images playing on my screen which I have on my local drive playing on Media Player? Thanks.

8. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

First I'll say I think you need an inclusive codec pack like K-lite. I think many of your video problems are related to the fact that Windows only comes with a few basic codecs and WMP is very poor at finding new ones to play specific files. If you get a package like K-lite suddenly WMP and MovieMaker will most probably be able to use your file.

That said, if you currently have an AVI that you want to cut up into pieces VirtualDubMod is a quick and fairly simple program to use. It is available Here

Unzip the file and within the folder double click the Virtualdubmod.exe to start the program. You will usually only be using four buttons and the slider. These are right and left "yellow key" buttons and left and right "skinny dark arrow buttons". Occasionally you might need the double arrow( common FF symbol) buttons which in this program move you a single frame backward or forward if you need precision but the key buttons are recommended.

Under the File menu choose Open Video File and Browse to your video.
    To make a small clip:
    Drag the slider to move to the approximate beginning of your clip.
    Use the yellow key buttons to move as close as you can to your chosen beginning (this will put your on a keyframe which is best for cutting vids)
    Mark the beginning of your clip with the left arrow button
    Use the slider to move to the approximate end of your clip.
    Use the yellow key buttons to move back or forth to get as close as you can to your chosen end point
    Mark the ending of your clip with the right arrow button
    Under the File menu choose Save as
    Choose a filename for clip and at bottom of window for Video Mode choose Direct Stream Copy from the dropdown box.
    A new file will be written for the clip.

You can also use the program to delete portions of the video rather than make clips. So if you have a 15 minute video and want minutes 2-3 and 8-9, you would mark the beginning of the video (min. 0) with the left arrow then move to just before min. 2 and mark it with the right arrow and hit the delete key. Your clip now starts with minute 2. Move to end of minute 3 using slider or key buttons and mark with left arrow then go to just before min. 8 and mark with right arrow and hit delete key. Then go to end of min. 9 mark with left arrow and slider over to end of video and mark with right arrow and hit delete. Clip now has min. 2-3 and 8-9. Save as before using Direct Stream Copy.

9. Roystacy

Virtualdubmod works! But one question: How do I buy the software? The reason I ask is it will only record 9 seconds of a clip. What I have is at least 30 second bursts. Works great otherwise!! Thank you for leading me to a great software!!

10. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've never had this problem. VDMod is freeware and there are no restrictions on file size. It will definitely save a single scene or even half a movie with no problem. Just as a matter of troubleshooting how large is the file you are cutting? Also are you sure you are using the arrow keys correctly. They are what mark the cut points, so after you use the key buttons to get to the proper point in the film you use each arrow key only once to denote either the beginning or end of the clip. There should be some space between the markers placed by the arrow buttons before you save your file.

11. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

I've always used SNAGIT it works good for online video capture, it will capture audio too. Saves it as a .avi for easy editing.

12. Roystacy

I click on the arrows to bring in about 45 seconds, but it always pops up about 9 seconds. I'll keep trying!

On the SNAGIT, does MG has a downloadable version or is that a "Buy" software? It does not really matter as I need to get the job done. Thanks for the directions, guys!!

13. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

heres the trial version... http://www.techsmith.com/download/snagittrial.asp

14. Roystacy

Thanks for the quick response. I must say that this has got to be one of the best sites on the web. Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds