"catalog files for the content indexer" wiped my harddrive!

Discussion in 'Software' started by vicky_ronco, Dec 28, 2006.

1. vicky_ronco

vicky_ronco Private E-2

Hi people, new poster, please please please say you can help!

I was copying things from my Mp4 player onto my external harddrive, when the notice that i had not enough disk space came up.
    It launched "disk cleanup" and since there was nothing else in the rubbishbin it offered to "catalog files for the content indexer".
    I clicked on it, and it began this long hefty operation. I cancelled it because I noticed that all my files had disappeared. That is, EVERYTHING on the external harddrive is now gone, aside from the folders where they used to live. So i have a harddrive full of folders with nothing in them except the old thumbnails.

Photos, Music, Video and Documents, all disappeared. its a FAT32 if that helps anyone, and the harddrive when i look at its properties now says still that out of 30 gigs there are only 5 free, so the files must be there somewhere.

I've tried system restore, viewing hidden files/folders, system files, all of it. Nothing seems to work.
    PLEAASE help.
    Ive also tried file restoration software, but it restores other files, nothing of the stuff that's gone missing.
    HELP!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds