CCleaner and IE8 (Huge Temporary Internet File Amount)

Discussion in 'Software' started by rayzur, May 5, 2009.

1. rayzur

rayzur Private First Class

When I run CCleaner I get some outrageous amount of temporary files deleted from "IE Temporary Internet Files". I'm not sure if CCleaner is having anything to do with this or not but I just recently upgraded to CCleaner v2.19.900 (the current version). I also just upgraded to IE8 the other day.

Here is an example of what I get on the log file -
    Code:
    CLEANING COMPLETE - (11.374 secs)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    13,319,181,828,108.9MB removed.

Details of files deleted
    IE Temporary Internet Files (9 files) 13,319,181,828,096.0MB
    As you can see the majority comes from IE Temp files, it will show some outrageous amount like that when I run CC after just surfing the web for about 30 minutes. I don't even surf with IE, I use Firefox.

Any ideas about what's going on here?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Likely CCleaner mis-reporting, not seen that one before, so what Windows version you using?

Did you install latest CCleaner without uninstalling previous one? try uninstalling CCleaner and then check if it has a folder still in Program Files and delete then reboot and re-install CCleaner and run again.

3. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Considering "13,319,181,828,108.9MB" is 13 million TeraBytes, this is safely a glitch in the display of CCleaner. (Note that the largest Hard Drive available now is "only" 1.5 TB's ;) ).

Nice find! [​IMG]

4. rayzur

Hi,
    Yeah, I knew it was an error since that would have been more than my hard drive. :-D
    I'm using Windows XP and service pack 3.
    Now that I think about it, I think I just installed the new one over the old. I'll do a complete uninstall with reboot then a fresh install.

5. rayzur

Hmmm, I did a complete uninstall with reboot and then did a fresh install of CCleaner. The same thing is happening :(, it doesn't seem to effect the performance but it is very irritating because it is obviously an error.

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

Very strange indeed!! Trying to decipher the numbers and I'm seeing this differently. Seems that the first 13,319,181,828 look like files and are the same in removed and deleted? I've got a hunch that 108.9 MB removed and details show 096.0 MB? Could it be "Flash" or something like that?

7. rayzur

I did not post the complete log as the rest of it was legitimate. The difference between the two numbers (something like 12.mb) is the real amount of files deleted. It's not flash, I have flash disabled in IE and FF.

I have come to the conclusion that IE8 must be causing all of this. I can run CCleaner then just surf in FF only for however long I want and as long as I don't open IE8 before I run CCleaner again everything is fine. It will clean out a normal amount from the browsing session.

If I open IE8 and just browse for 5 minutes and then run CCleaner I get those outrageous numbers. I am a CSS coder and I have to view pages in all the major browsers when I am building and debugging websites. That is why I frequently open pages in IE, it's not my browser of choice, it is just part of my tools.

8. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

My condolences :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds