Ccleaner - Bitdefender Threat Block - Labels As Trojan??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oooops!, May 16, 2017.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

CCleaner notified me that there was a program update. However, Bitdefender Free Antivirus saw it as a threat and blocked the download.

I tried various ways of downloading the update with the same results:
    - directly through the CCleaner program
    - Piriform
    - Major Geeks
    - Filehippo

Attached is the Bitdefender window. It includes the blocked threat name. Is there something wrong with my computer, or does it have something to do with CCleaner itself?

Thanks
    :)

Attached Files:

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hey Oooops, I use Bitdefender Free and I also received the Ccleaner update without any problems as usual. Has this occured any other time Ccleaner updated. Have you tried going into Bitdefenders settings and turned off the Protection Shield before you try downloading Ccleaner ? Then when you are completely finished, go back and turn on the Protection Shield and see what happens.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It's clearly a false positive and in the full package it looks like just one site (of 60 on VirusTotal) is suggesting the included Toolbar is a PUP. I personally only use CCleaner Slim. No toolbar.
    I would just ignore Bitdefender and override it.

5. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

You can always go into the BD settings and add it to Exclusions since the Ccleaner download is safe, especially if you download it from MG's.

6. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

So strange. That was the first time CCleaner has ever given me this type of an issue while updating. (Although, sometimes "uBlock Origin" will kick in when accessing the update via website).

1. I tried adding the download to the Exclusions List within Bitdefender, but it still blocked the download. I noticed the file name in the Quarantine List changed slightly too. (I'll attach an image to explain what I mean).
    2. I turned off the Protection Shield within Bitdefender, downloaded the update from Major Geeks and so far so good.

I appreciate all the replies, thank you for your help!
    :D

Attached Files:

7. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Glad we could help.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds