Ccleaner

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Oct 12, 2012.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    I would not ever use the regisrtry cleaner per se but I was told that it is relatively safe to use the Windows or Applications part exspecially if you only check; Temp files, history, cookies, mru's, auto complete, recent docs, recycle bin, clipboard and run.
    Was the advice sound?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

The registry section of CCleaner is safe to use. It will prompt you to make a backup before it runs. If for some reason you find and issue that was incorrect, you can easily restore the backup.

3. MadCityMan19

MadCityMan19 Private E-2

I used the reg cleaner on ccleaner and everything worked out fine. I had 200+ files in my registry that were missing .dll files. things i deleted a long time ago and there was still traces of it. Ccleaner gets a thumbs up

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I used the registry cleaner 3x's in the last decade and even with the restore point, my pc would not function pproperly. When I tried to restoere it, it would not work.
    I now use the new reg backp at tweaking.com which MGs has a download site for so would feel better about the backup.
    However, I was asking about the way I run it for safety reasons as three times = burned too much.

5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

The safest option is always not to use any registry cleaners, not even "safe" ones.

6. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

You are correct that the registry cleaner and the files cleaner are two different operations and do not deal with the same things.

However, both the items on the Windows tab and the items on the Applications tab that are checked will be
    cleaned together at the same time when the Run Cleaner button is clicked.

Don't check anything in the Advanced section of the Windows tab. That stuff should generally be left untouched.

Consider carefully which items you Do check to be cleaned, especially the History, MRU's and Password items, since you may not
    want to lose those.

7. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi fellow , my option is that manually movements is better than any cleaner , yes ccleaner is good but as pwillener is saying don't use them at all :wave

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

mjnc - you are agreeing with what I was told that Windows and Applications are safer than the registry cleaner but to be careful what is checked.

9. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I don't know of anyone who has ever reported a problem after using Ccleaner's registry cleaner, and that's because all it does is remove 'orphaned' entries, any entries which are no longer connected to anything else. In terms of computer speed and performance it achieves precisely nothing, but if you have a tidy mind and prefer everything apple pie and shipshape then go ahead and use it. In any case it offers to backup anything you remove, so in the unlikely even of a problem then reverting is just a click away.

10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I agree that it is mostly a mind set and not doing much with speed and performance.
    Although I respect your opinion about the registry cleaner, especially with the backup, I feel comfortable using the Windows and Applications features occasionaly.
    I Like the new icon!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds