Ccleaner.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eldon, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

According to the articles, Avast plans on keeping it a stand alone product.

3. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

On several forums, I've recently seen avast causing problems. Let's hope avast leaves these excellent utilities alone at least.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Tough call. I think Avast will maintain it. Typically, you bring on the staff for 1-5 years to maintain the product.

5. Booboo58

Booboo58 Private E-2

Say it isn't so, if Avast took over CCleaner then that means that the program will be taken over by nag-ware. Good grief.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Let's hope for the best.
    I also remember what happened to Musicmatch Jukebox and Winamp...

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I'm considering not using CCleaner any more. Every time the slim version is run now it tries to change browser settings and causes a FW alert. Not good.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You could try the portable version https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

I just checked and I'm running a version from 30 Oct. 2014. I never got into updating it monthly. I really couldn't see the point. I erase rather than delete files when I'm done with them and when I uninstall a program, I use either Revo Uninstaller or Geek Uninstaller.

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

1. I've been using CCleaner since it was actually called 'Crap Cleaner'
    2. I use secure deletion in CCleaner so for cache it's the same as Eraser, which I've also been using for non-cache deletion since time immemorial
    3. I've always used Revo in Advanced mode for uninstalling programs.
    4. The portable version causes the very same Firewall warning 'Do you wish to change your browser settings?' when run so it is no different. This has only happened since the last but one version of CCleaner and the latest version
    5. CCleaner versions have to be updated as some windows and most Web Browser settings change. I see no good reason to ignore that and the release notes specify the changes.

By the way, whether a program is installed or used in portable format has nothing to do with how it works

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  10. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I still use a version from Oct 2014 and it suits me just fine. I tried newer versions and always got rid of that and went back to this version. I have quite a few utilities that I still use older versions of and will probably never update to a newer version. When I finally buy a newer pc or build to newer specs, then I might go with the most recent.

I found several utilities that in newer versions automatically go to the net to look for newer versions of everything listed in Progm~1 . I don't need that function and if I did I would use a utility for that purpose. Also a lot of utilities try to use the newer tiles look interface. I don't need or want it.

If an older program still does what I use it for, I'm fine with that.
    I have a gif animation program I bought in Win 95. There is no update and it still functions in everything up to 8.1 It would probably be one that Win10 would blacklist and remove. Since that kind of change took place maybe on Win10 the newest and greatest might be all that is allowed.

Eldon likes this.
  11. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Agree - very annoying and a deal breaker if it can not be disabled. Sometimes those annoyances can be removed by choosing the "custom" option during the install process or through the program's "options".

I keep the 64-bit portable CCleaner updated and use it with CCEnhancer - no problems.
    The download is sometimes hard to get to. :(

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

13. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

14. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The slim build never appears for at least a week after a new version is released and the link for it on MG leads to the standard version until Piriform provide the new slim version. The link - when it appears - in CCleaner's Builds page always works for me.
    CCleaner - in all versions - has a check box that can be unticked in the install windows to block allowing it to always offer an update. It's simple.
    Older versions are only as good as the release notes indicate. Updated versions fix bugs and address changes in program cache file placements, so using an old version is fine if you don't mind less accurate cleaning.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds