cd and dvd drives won't install drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chadwilson7, Aug 19, 2006.

1. chadwilson7

chadwilson7 Private E-2

I have a Dell Dimension 2350
    Pentium 4, 2.20 GHz
    1.00 GB RAM
    Windows XP Home, SP1

There are 2 CD drives:

Creative DVD-ROM DVD1241E
    Optowrite CD-RW CW5202

These used to work fine in this computer. At some point (I'm not sure when they quit working. It's been going on for quite some time) they both quit working at the same time. I haven't had need to use them and haven't gotten around to addressing the issue until now.

They both show up in device manager with a yellow ! but neither will install. I've uninstalled them and tried to reinstall. I've changed the jumpers (currently in the "C" position) to every configuration. I've plugged them in one at a time with every jumper configuration. I always get the same result. They both power up fine and will eject, etc. but won't read a cd.

What can I try?

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

goto control pannel then system then device manager then IDE ATA atapi/controller is the secondery IDE channel there ???

3. chadwilson7

chadwilson7 Private E-2

Yes, secondary IDE Channel is there and it says it's working properly.

4. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

the others thing maybe is you have bad cable do you have some spare one ???

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds