Cd Burner tray opens / closes @ Random. Virus?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alpha, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Alpha

Alpha Private E-2

Windows XP Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 1

Cable connection.
    I run Norton Internet Security 2002 with the firewall etc.

First off I have read both of the sticky threads... (basic trojan remove etc / and Hijack This sticky)

I followed all of the steps in the " How to: Spyware, Trojan And Virus Removal" thread and my computer is apparently completely clean. Spybot SD did find one "alexa" problem (description of it was a data miner) and it fixed it. I have also used Hijack this and this webpage to help me determine if there was something wrong there...

http://hijackthis.de/index.php?langselect=english
    (nothing obvious that it caught)

After running all the suggested Virus Scans and the other apps I'm still having my CD burner tray open and close on me. Sometimes it does it in rapid succession 4-5 times in a row. I'm wondering if it could possibly be a hardware malfunction? The CD burner tray is the only problem I've had so far.
    I did notice that when I stopped running the virus scanners in Safe Mode w/ Networking and I went to reboot I got a warning msg. that said

"Other people are logged on to this coputer. Restarting windows might cause them to lose data". I was logged in under my profile in Win XP and the only other profile is the administrator one. (not sure if that msg. meant anything.)

Anyway, any help is appreciated. I'm exhausting my own abilities to fix this before I call my Microsoft employee friend.

thx..

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Post a HijackThis log from normal boot mode as a .txt file attachment and I'll take a look. It does sound like a hardware problem though. But I don't understand why you got that message about other people being logged in. Are you sharing drives or folders on a network?

3. Alpha

Alpha Private E-2

I'm not on a network, it's just my one home computer and then the comcast Cable Modem out. As far as sharing and such goes I don't really know how to check. The only things I can think of that might be related are that I setup the Tivo becan thing that allows me to network my Tivo through my computer to the Tivo service and then I downloaded and tried "Sheraza" for a few days before I cleaned it out and deleted etc. (I dind't setup anything to be shared other than the default folder) The Tivo Beacon has also been removed (weeks ago B4 this problem) etc. it's easier to just use the phoneline occasionally....

thx. (anymore info needed just ask... my project for the day is making sure I don't have netbus or some such .. etc)

Attached Files:

4. chaslang

I see nothing in you log that is a big problem.

These could be fixed but they are not your problem:
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll (file missing)

You may want to post you problem in the hardware forum. I could move this whole thread there if yo would like. Just let me know and I'll do it.

5. Alpha

Alpha Private E-2

Yeah go ahead and move it.... I'm just trying to get it resolved. I was really worried about a trojan etc, though I couldn't imagine where I picked one up. I do my banking online etc... heh

thx again

6. chaslang

Your welcome! It's moved!

7. QuickSilver

QuickSilver Corporal

The message about other people losing data when you log out can occur if you have remote desktop sessions active.
    I dont know what Windows XP offers on this front as I've never needed to use it but Windows 2003 has a remote desktop software which allows people to remotely get a screen on your machine and use it as if they were sat at your computer (its actually fairly fast compared to something like VNC)...
    To make sure this is turned off on XP go to:
    Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System...
    Click the Remote tab.
    Make sure the box which says "Allow users to remotely connect to this desktop" is not ticked.

By default this is not enabled and I would be surprised if that was the cause of your concern but someone else who uses that computer (if anyone does) could be having a giggle by Remotely accessing your machine, Right Clicking the CD Tray and selecting "Eject" a few times... possibly thats just the cynic (sp?) in me... Just what I thought of when I read your post... hope it helps...

8. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

On the tray whizzing in and out I had that a while ago and i think i just went and deleted driver and reinstalled to fix..why i dont know :)

9. Alpha

Alpha Private E-2

Thx for the info on the Remove Assistance / Desktop options. I had totally forgot they existed. The box for "Remote Assistance" was checked, but the box for "Remote Desktop" was not. I unchecked Assistance just to make sure, and now I'm going to see if I can find any rhyme or reason to the tray opening / closing. (perhaps when I reboot, load something etc.. I have no idea.) I'd actually be happy if it was just a hardware problem. Actually, I should check the burner and see if it's still functioning. Anyway, if anyone has any more ideas feel free.

thx.

10. Alpha

Alpha Private E-2

OK... so I think everything is working again. I ended up taking the faceplate off of the CD burner and blowing some dust etc out of the belt drive etc in there. Only problem was that when everthing was put back together and turned on my monitor was now having a problem *laugh*..... Long story short, 10 minutes of tech support (viewsonice) and reinstalling my video drivers fixed that. Good news is 4-5 hours of use and no CRAZY CD burner popping in and out on me, so it looks good so far.

Anway, thx for the help and quick responses guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds