CD burning lockup with WinXP svcpk 2 update

Discussion in 'Software' started by KindaNutty, Sep 13, 2004.

1. KindaNutty

KindaNutty Private E-2

Installation of WinXP sp 2 on my system has rendered me incapable of burning CDs. I have tried using both RecordNow and the Windows Media Player 9 (then 10). WinMP freezes during the burn stage of the first track, whereas RecordNow appears to be successful until it reaches 98% complete, then freezes. Once frozen, the program cannot be shutdown except through taskmanager and even then the process thread remains unkilled until a power-off. The resulting CD isn't a total coaster, usually having a playable first track, followed by a partial second track which turns to bit-skipping garble midway through.

I have tried disabling the IMAPI svc, as well as the windows security center, to no avail. My system is an HP Pavilion 304w, with 384 Mb RAM, and an additional harddrive (2 total.) Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

try burning the disc at a slower speed. what speed is your writer? if it's 48x then you shouldn't really run much faster than 32x otherwise you can lose quality. also, have you tried burning with nero, because that sometimes gives better results! :D

3. KindaNutty

KindaNutty Private E-2

I have not tried at a slower speed, however previous to XPsp2 I suffered no difficulties burning. The burner is a CyberDrv CW058D CD-R/RW 32x/10x/40x. I also have not tried Nero, the sudden and very similar difficulty with both RecordNow and WinMP9&10 has me thinking it likely to be unrelated to a specific burning program. (I may of course be in error in this assumption.)

Thanks for your rapid response.

Also, although it may not be relevant...I have nonwindows apps installed in a drive (D:\) other than the windows host (C:\), and both drives are located on separate harddisks. In addition, my pagefile is split between two drives, with one on each harddisk.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If its Sonics Record Now software you are using then this is of interest and unrelated to SP2 in the sence that they have not updated or fully tested Record Now with SP2!!! alot of 3rd party software companys have been slow on the testing and updating of software to be compatable with SP2.

Is Sonic software compatible with Windows XP Service Pack 2?
    Microsoft's Service Pack 2 for Windows XP (XP SP2) started releasing on 8/10/2004. XP SP2 corrects numerous security vulnerabilities and adds security enhancements to Windows XP and Internet Explorer. Sonic product compatibility testing has been in progress for several months and some minor compatibility issues exist with earlier versions of Sonic Desktop products.

Until a full qualification is completed and compatibility list posted we recommend that customers running Sonic Desktop products purchased before 8/1/2004 not install XP SP2. Please contact Sonic Desktop Support for further information.

http://support.sonic.com/desktop/faqs/Faqs.asp?prodname=Announcements&type=desktop&product=recordnow

my best advice until an update is available is to use this CDBurnerXP http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4242.html should do most of the stuff RecordNow does

5. KindaNutty

KindaNutty Private E-2

The burner program is RecordNow v4.50 from VERITAS Software Corp.

Thanks.

6. DavidGP

Ah some updated info for you http://www.veritas.com/products/discontinued.html

RecordNow is discontinued by Veritas and Sonic aquired and now support / update the software

7. KindaNutty

KindaNutty Private E-2

I tried the suggested burning program CDburnerXP, with the same behavior exhibited as previously described. In addition, I slowed the burn speed to 16x and then 8x with no luck. Any further thoughts by any as to what might be the best course of action from here? Thanks.

8. DavidGP

Do you still have RecordNow installed? if so un-install it and for that matter CDburnerXP as well the use a registry cleaner to mop up any leftover traces.. then install CDburnerXP again..

good free registry cleaner RegscrubXP
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2048.html

9. KindaNutty

KindaNutty Private E-2

I uninstalled both RecordNow and the CDburnerXP, followed by a registry clean using Norton's Windoctor. I now appear able to successfully burn a CD using Windows MP v10 (after reenabling the IMAPI service of course). I'm leary about mucking up a situation where I can once again burn tracks, yet MP is rather slow compared to RecordNow...so I suppose I'll try installing another burner at some point....I'll post again with an update when I do so. Thanks for suggestions and assistance with this problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds