CD drive failing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boudewijnzen, Nov 30, 2004.

1. boudewijnzen

boudewijnzen Private E-2

Hi, i have a relatively old PC, and have recently had alot of problems with Ad-ware, anway, i used this forum to fix that, and am very grateful, but i have a new proble. Well, it actually ISNT that new, its been a problem for quite a while, in that my cd drive appears not to recognise certain discs, games or audio. Now it is a strange selection process, for instance a game with a double cd, it recognises one but not the other! the drive itself is an NEC 282, pretty old, and ive tried updating the driver, but upon downloading it i seem unable to find it in the 'update driver' options, even though i know its there. Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated, thanks.

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

is the players firmware up to date?

3. AdamR78

AdamR78 Private E-2

could it be that the laser isn't working so well any more? cd drives have a lifespan, and as the laser wears out, it will start to fail reading discs.
    Or maybe simply the discs are scratched?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds