Cd-drive Not Ejecting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NiceGuyeddi, Mar 28, 2007.

1. NiceGuyeddi

NiceGuyeddi Private E-2

I Burned A Cd-r With Some Photos On It, Which Obviously Didnt Work B/c I Needed To Use A Dvd-r For Pictures. Anyhow I Gave The Disc To A Friend And She Put The Disc In Her Cd Drive, And Now The Drive Will Not Open. I Have Checked In The 'system' And It Says The Drive Is Working Properly. It Will Not Open By Pressing The Button On The Pc, Nor Open Through Trying To Eject It Through Windows. The Drive Did Work Before The Disc Was Put In. Can Someone Please Help Me As I Do Not Understand Why The Drive Will Not Open.

2. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Have you tried egecting it through windows media player? Sounds like you did but it has worked for me in past when needed

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

there is a small hole in the front of the drive, stick a paper clip in there and it will open

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Yeah- the straightened out paper clip works. Be sure the PC is powered down when you do it tho', cuz sometimes, if the PC is on, when you open w/ the clip, the CD will be spinning and it can damage both the CD and/or the drive. And by the way- you don't need to use a DVD-R for pictures. You can burn pictures on CD's just fine....

hopperdave2000

5. 12quidkidinnit

12quidkidinnit Private First Class

I've had this problem lots of times, and mostly, restsating the computer doesn't make things easier. But shutting it down, then restsarting it often allows the CD to be ejected normally. Failing this, good old Mr Paperclip is your friend.

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

This eject problem, as well as windows freezing or locking up is usually caused by a corrupted burned disc, or, an incompatable burning program, and 12quiditdinnet is spot on- if it will not eject, shut down. then when pressing the start button, press the eject, before windows starts.

7. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

If the button refuses to manually eject, you can also just pull the IDE cable if it starts to use the CD right away. Be quick about getting the disc. Sometimes windows will start, and automatically close the drive. I've had my fingers pinched several times. And sometimes right-clicking the drive from it's my computer Icon will open it.

8. Absolutexero

Absolutexero Private E-2

sometimes the mechanical parts in cd drives just lock up try the manual eject with the paper clip and that should unlock it, but if it locks up again when you close it, then the cd drive will probably need replacing

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds