CD Drive will play but i cant write to it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cigam0102, Jan 21, 2010.

1. cigam0102

cigam0102 Private E-2

I can play an audio cd but can not copy files to it, audio or documents!

Below is the screenshot of the error I get.

[​IMG]

This computer is a HP w/win98
    The CD I'm using is brand new out of the package.
    And all other apps are closed that I know of.

What can I do?:cry

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What is the model of HP computer you have and is your CD drive a writable CD drive?

Please also follow the below as written as this will give us the hardware info from your machine to see possibly where the issue is.

3. cigam0102

cigam0102 Private E-2

Greetings, Thanks for your reply!

What is the model of HP computer you Pavilion 8760C have and is your CD drive a writable CD drive?It says CD writer on the front of the draw.

Thanks Again, I hope I did the report right.

Attached Files:

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Cheers for the info, helps alot.

Fron your message in the screenshot its likely due to that file your are wanting to copy to disk already being in use, it could be open in a viewer window, so make sure all are closed,

What CD buring software are you using?

Try this and while its not directly for your issue, it can be a cause in the upper and lower filters not allowing cd burning on a drive but allow read, guide steps HERE

5. cigam0102

cigam0102 Private E-2

What CD buring software are you using?

I don't know.:confused Is there some way to find what burning software is on my machine?

Try this and while its not directly for your issue, it can be a cause in the upper and lower filters not allowing cd burning on a drive but allow read, guide steps HERE

I'm not sure if that ones for me.:confused

BTW, Hand me down machine.:(

6. cigam0102

cigam0102 Private E-2

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You do not drag and drop to burn a CD. You click on all programs, look for the burning program and open it. Then you select something like Music or Data CD and start browsing for what you wish to burn on to the CD.

8. cigam0102

cigam0102 Private E-2

Thank You! I found that and posted a (DUH!) reply, but because it has a link it has to be cleared first, I think.;)

9. cigam0102

cigam0102 Private E-2

I meant to add to this, that I cannot add those found copys to anything or resurrect them.

Ive tried file recovery downloads from download page, but they say they can find them but not recover unless I upgrade.:confused

10. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I hope plodr and Halo will continue to help troubleshoot your Cd Creator problems. :)

I prefer to stay away from Win98 systems because I had to reload mine at least every 3 months. I'm one of those people that truly needed XP's relative reliability.

If you can't recover your CD Creator program then you might want to try a free burning software that is compatible with 98. I don't love the interface of either but deepburner_free portable and imgburn will both run on 98. To avoid confusion with your CD Creator software you might want to try the Deep Burner portable version which doesn't require installation (just unzip and click deepburner.exe)

Maybe burn a test CD; eject it; reload it and see if it is readable. I'm not a fan of multi-session discs because I thought they were unreliable but things may be better now. If you choose no multi-session you will probably want to fill the disc close to its 700 mb capacity when burning because you won't be able to add files to the disc later.

11. cigam0102

cigam0102 Private E-2

I did not explain correctly, the burner seems to be working fine. It seems the files I'm trying to burn have been deleted and are deeper in the system so that the burner software cant see it. BTW, The program you suggested is how I was able to see them. Maybe I will get a screenshot of what it looks like?

12. mickeblue

mickeblue Private E-2

Maybe the file you are trying to burn is just locked up... a glitch that can happen for reasons only known to someone with greater knowledge than I have... Unlocker is an invaluable aid when this happens.

13. cigam0102

cigam0102 Private E-2

Thanks, But looks like it only applies to Windows 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista.
    I've got win98SE.

14. mickeblue

mickeblue Private E-2

You have undeleted them first haven't you? Otherwise I don't think it's possible to access them.

You might try searching major Geeks for Recover4All. That used to work with 98, but the freeware version will only work with small files so if that bmp is large you might have to purchase the full version.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds