CD drives are changed to removable harddisks

Discussion in 'Software' started by 2.2niw, Sep 28, 2004.

1. 2.2niw

2.2niw Private E-2

Could somebody out there please tell me what to do for getting access to my two CD drives?
    I have a very old CD rom drive used for audio and a CDRW for back up made by SONY, CRX16OE-RP. The program I use is an Adaptec WinOnCd 3.7.
    I use WIN98SE with a bunch of updates. I also use NORTON 2004AV. This worked smooth for some time, but after the last updates I got problems. I lost my access to the both CD drives. I am not sure which of the updates that caused this problem – and I can’t remember that any of the Win updates gave any warning message before or during the installation.
    The both “CD drives” open for the CD. Windows gives the following message: The disk in drive D is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?

In the device manager it looks that nothing have been changed – the both CDs and the same drivers are there, but the root tree says that I have two removable hard disks connected to my system. (I should like to know who is the maker of these hard disks – Microsoft Corporation I suppose?) :rolleyes:
    I have tried the following:
    1) New installation of the Win98SE (No changing)
    2) I have asked Microsoft Support by the net and by phone (No help here. Suggestion; buy Xp or wait for the new OS in 2006 LongHorn)
    3) I have also asked the dealer who sold me the Win98SE and the hardware. (They could try to fix it, but without any guarantee.).
    4) Searched on the net for similar problems. (I have seen that others also have had similar problems with Windows upgrade for 98SE – but no of the suggestions I found solved my problem)
    5) I have tried the both CD drives connected to another PC/hard disk with Win98SE without any updates (No problems here)
    Thanks 2.2niw

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds