CD/DVD Drive can't read any disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meesa, Jul 28, 2009.

1. meesa

meesa Private E-2

I have a LiteOn CD/DVD drive that can't read data off of disks. Usually it reconizes the disk, and usually I can see all the files on the disk. However, if I try to play an audio file, it says it's not valid, if I try to install a program, it says it's not a valid win32 application.

The disks work fine on another computer
    The drive works find in another computer
    The drive stopped worked after my OS was reinstalled
    I've unplugged and replugged the cables

Yes still, I'm having the errors, does anybody have any clude what the problem might be?

2. lotus8

lotus8 Private E-2

did u check device manager?

3. meesa

meesa Private E-2

It's there.

4. lotus8

lotus8 Private E-2

what r your system specs?

5. meesa

meesa Private E-2

XP SP3
    504MB RAM
    AMD Athlon 1.40 GHz

Need anything else?

6. lotus8

lotus8 Private E-2

this is the player that came with the pc? if so do u have the disk for pc?

7. meesa

meesa Private E-2

It didn't come with the PC, this one is a different one. The one that came with the PC no longer fits because the power supply had to be replaced, and so the original is too long. Also, it was just a CD player, not a CD/DVD player.

FYI, my computer is a HP Pavillion 322n
    CD/DVD drive is: LiteOn 20X
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106055

8. lotus8

lotus8 Private E-2

did the new drive come with softwARE?

9. meesa

meesa Private E-2

No, but I have updated the drive from the internet, still didn't do anything.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

11. meesa

meesa Private E-2

Done that one a couple times. Nope, no error marks by it or anything.

Could this possibly be something wrong with the cables Or MB?

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

It could be cables, so worth if you have a spare working IDE cable to swap it, also delete the CDROM/DVD driver from Device Manager and reboot and see if with Windows re-installing the driver it helps.

Are you also having the same issue with files as in applications and music that are saved on your PC HDD? in the error Win32 or is this just when running these files off CD/DVD?

13. meesa

meesa Private E-2

I've tried the device manger thing already, id didn't help.

Sadly, I don't have any spare IDE cables. I'm going to let my bro look at it, and he should be able to figure it out. I'll post back what was wrong if he figures it out.

14. meesa

meesa Private E-2

My brother tested the CD/DVD drive, and it works fine in other computer, also, other drives work fine in my computer. So now I have a new drive. Also, I have no clue what the problem was, and neither does he.

Thanks for all the help!

Meesa

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds