CD/DVD drive not detected in BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by faylynne, Feb 11, 2011.

1. faylynne

faylynne Private E-2

Hi
    I'm helping out with a pc on which the cd/dvd drive isnt being detected in the BIOS.
    The o/s was recently re-installed after virus infection and several apps were also loaded via the cd drive, so we know it was working originally.

I fitted a new usb front panel card to the pc, which only involved removing an old one and fitting the new one which has additional usb connectors.
    The only addition was an HD Audio connector, for which I still need to download a controller driver, and I did go into the BIOS to enable HD Audio as per instructions that came with the panel.

I'm not sure if the cd drive was working immediately prior to my fitting the new front panel, it may have been corruped by one of the applications that was loaded, so this new installation may have nothing to do with the problem....

Already installed is a SATA hard-drive, and there is only one IDE mobo connector.
    I've swapped out the CD drive for a working model, and that doesnt work either (just in case the drive had died...)

I have checked out other posts on the same subject, but didnt want to mess about with the BIOS without some guidance.

thanks for any assistance.

FL

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, faylynne.

I'm assuming this is an IDE optical drive? You might try forcing the BIOS to detect the drive - don't know what BIOS you're using, but there are usually options for manually detecting instead of auto. If not, what's the make and model # of the motherboard? With that info, we might be able to find the BIOS information.

There's also the possibility that this could be a power and/or connection issue - you might try switching power connectors, and swapping IDE cables (if one's available).

3. faylynne

faylynne Private E-2

Hi Caliban, and thanks for your help.

I'm assuming this is an IDE optical drive?

Yep its an IDE optical drive, and Ive tried different cables and the power is ok too.

You might try forcing the BIOS to detect the drive - don't know what BIOS you're using, but there are usually options for manually detecting instead of auto. If not, what's the make and model # of the motherboard? With that info, we might be able to find the BIOS information.

The motherboard is an Asus P5B - In the main BIOS window it shows:

SATA 1 - Not Detected
    SATA 2 - WDC hard drive
    SATA 3 - Not Detected
    SATA 4 - Not Detected

IDE Configuration sub menu =
    SATA Configuration - Enhanced
    configure SATA as IDE

FL

4. faylynne

faylynne Private E-2

In addition to the post below, I have now reset the CMOS which didnt help, and
    set the auto detect in the BIOS to CDRom - I am now getting an error msg in the post which says:
    Secondary Master Drive - ATAPI Incompatible
    press F1 to resume

so even if I try to force it to recognise the drive theres a problem.

Ive tried searching extensively for an answer and Ive tried all the suggestions I found with no luck.

Any help please would be gratefully received....

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As this Windows version was re-installed, are allt he drivers and mainly the Chipset driver re-installed also for the hardware, check Device Manager for yellow ! marks and if one is SMBus then the chipset is missing, plus what is the make and model of the PC if its from say Dell, HP etc or the Motherboard make and model if a home build PC?

Or only quick thing I can thing of at present is and this may rule out if the drive is broken is to try it in another PC.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds