CD-DVD drive not recognized by Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mariano10, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Mariano10

Mariano10 Private E-2

Hi!
    for some reaosn my CD-DVD drive is not being recognized by Windows. It doesn't appear under My Computer or anything. I've run the Microsoft Fix it solution for this problem (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060), but it doesn't work. It has been like this for a while now. What could I do?

Thanks!

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The first thing to try and what would do first would be to try the drive in another computer,if this isn't possible try another drive in that computer. This basic troubleshooting step can instantly direct you to either the drive or the computer and save a lot of frustration and investigation.

A few questions-

Laptop or desktop?

Post your operating system

Is this factory computer or have you built it,have you recently installed and operating system or made any major changes such as a new motherboard?

Post as much information about the computer as possible

Does the the drive open and close,does the light work,if you put a cd in does it spin up?

Go to control panel,system device manager are there any yellow exclamation marks?

I'll leave it there for now and await your reply.

3. Mariano10

Mariano10 Private E-2

Thanks for your response.

I have a HP laptop dv2700 and it is exactly how it came out from factory, Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (Service pack 2 installed), 64-bit operating system, 4 GB RAM, AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 processor.

The drive does open and close, and the light turns on quickly when I close it. If I put a cd in it does spin up but doesn't read it and stops after a while.

There are no exclamation marks if I go to Control Panel - Device manager, but the drive is not listed there either.

Thanks again for your help.

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , my solution to similar problem like yours is :wave

Attached Files:

5. Mariano10

Mariano10 Private E-2

I went to Control Panel --> Device Manager but the DVD/CD drive is not listed there..

Thanks

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Mariano10...

Couple of quick interjections:

1. Can you access your BIOS / machine setup? If so, is the optical drive listed there?

2. Do you have a bootable CD/DVD such as a Windows disk, a Linux distribution, OEM recovery disk, etc.? If so, you can set your boot order to the optical drive first and attempt to boot to that drive - the results of that test could split your troubleshooting in half, as well as the earlier suggestions.

7. Mariano10

Mariano10 Private E-2

Thanks Caliban..

I accessed the BIOS and went to system configuration --> boot options, and CD-ROM boot is enabled..Is that what I needed to look at?

8. watchdog1

watchdog1 Private E-2

Hello Mariano10,
    This is what you need to do,
    (1) turn off your laptop
    (2) touch your power buttun to turn on
    (3) heres the tricky part/ as soon as you restart the computer, start pressing the esc button like your clicking your mouse .
    (4) a screen will load up with several options for you to chose from . for example f1 boot devices, f2 bios , ect;
    (5) choose the option for the bios .
    (6) carefully use the arrow buttons until you see the devices for example / floppy disk , cd/dvd, and so on.
    (7) on the right side of each one it should say enabled or disabled. use the doun arrow till the cd/dvd player is high lighted.
    (8) you need to enable the cd/dvd drive and then touch enter , a window will should pop up asking you to save changes or not , choose yes .
    (9) use the right arrow to go to the exit screen and click on exit and save changes then hit enter .
    (10) as soon as you hit enter your computer will exit the bios and start loading , after it loads up click on start , then click on computer, a window will open showing the disc drives labeled as follows / C: / D: and E: , the E: drive is your cd/dvd drive/player .
    Please print these instructions !!!
    I hope this will help you
    watchdog1

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds