CD/DVD Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hopperdave2000, Feb 10, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I'm working on a PC that was totally jacked up: the video drivers were shot, the audio drivers were corrupt, WMP11 was corrupt.... anyway: I got all those things fixed but the DVDRW drive won't read anything. If I put in a burned CD, WinXP picks it up as a blank and asks if I want to burn w/ Nero, WMP, etc... If I put in any 'factory' CD or DVD (including DVD movies) Windows doesn't recognize ANY disc and thinks the drive is empty. I though maybe the DVDRW was malfunctioning so I hooked up a USB CDRW drive externally and it does the exact same thing.... Maybe this thread should be under software 'cuz now that I'm explaining things, it seems more like software than hardware.... SO- Any ideas? Help? Suggestions? ANYBODY?
    Muchas Gracias in advance... thanx!

hopperdave2000

BTW- the drive problems existed even before the other driver problems were corrected, so I don't think the things are really related.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

One of microsofts updates caused a problem like that, and they issued a fix for it,Try here------http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883523/en-us

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Thanx for the info but I have a thread in Software about this same PC... it won't do the updates!!!!

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you have a problem with updates try http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/
    Unfortunately, if your Windows has not passed the WGA, you will not get some essential updates from microsoft update -

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Problem solved: I did an in-place safe reload of WinXP and it fixed all the problems I was having; and they were numerous!!! Thanx for your help people!!! I appreciate it!!!!!

hopperdave2000

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds