cd & DVD drives not recognising disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rottnbrat, Dec 23, 2009.

1. rottnbrat

rottnbrat Private E-2

Hi, I have an LG GSA-4163B DVD RAM and also a TEAC CD-W54E Drive. I am running XP. Recently both drives just decided to stop reading any discs I put in them. I have tried installing updated drivers and doing a system restor to no avail. I have Nero7 and recently downloaded and installed nero9, but have now uninstalled nero9 and reinstalled nero7 just incase that was causing the problem but still no luck. When I go into Hardware properties it says that the drives are working OK. I need to know what to do to get them working again...discs go in and out OK and the light on the front of the drives flash, but when I click on the designated drive to open the contents there is nothing in there, but it says in the properties that the disc is full..please help..
    Thanks .

2. shockcell

shockcell Private E-2

sounds like a filter issue, follow the instructions

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
    5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
    8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    10. Exit Registry Editor.
    11. Restart the computer.

3. nikkicheers

nikkicheers Private E-2

First time here...Have a toshiba laptop and running XP. Rip a music cd to laptop . And no matter what program I use it just keeps telling me to insert a blank cd . But I have put brand new cd's in numours time. Why won't this laptop take my blank cd's to burn a music cd????????

4. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Hi nikkicheers, Please start your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's. Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds