Cd & DVD re-writer not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cyberchick, Jan 23, 2012.

1. cyberchick

cyberchick Private First Class

Hi,
    I think that my disk drives need replacing but I am not sure what exactly I need for my pc

(Win XP Home edition service pk 3, ADM Athlon 64 processor 1.98GHZ 512<B of Ram) PC about 6yrs old

Where and what information do I need before I buy the new drives.

The drives are not even spinning so pretty sure they are done.
    Many thanks

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

More important to mention the brand and model of computer so we can search for the installed hardware.

3. cyberchick

Hi Plodr,

Sorry for delay, got bogged down trying to solve problem.

The pc is not Dell or other I got it from a local shop that build their own, it has served me well for several years so if you tell me where to look for the info I will post it. I shall tell you what I have done mean time.

When I looked in my pc I could not find the CD or DVD-RW drives

Had a go at this......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO8FQM6YsM4&feature=related

Then Uninstalled Roxio 6 and re-installed it.
    The DVD RW is now working but the CD ROM appears not to be I am not sure how to detect if the drive is bust or if I have to do something on the pc.

I am thinking of working through the malware section, what do you think???

Sorry if I am flitting from one thing to another I just cant understand why the drives stopped working and keep thinking is it a virus but I dont think so do you.:confused

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Download the Nero Info Tool http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html
    Do your two drives appear? Are boot drives on the same cable? It could simply be a bad cable connector (they do go bad).
    Give a little background on when and how both drives disappeared.

5. cyberchick

Hi

I have been through the malware section with TimW and all is ok, I have added the copy of the specy results it looks as if they are working Fine according to that .
    I will uninstall Roxio and install it again see if thats the prob.

Thanks for your patience:)

Attached Files:

6. cyberchick

Hi again, latest update, I uninstalled the roxio software ,when I re-installed it again the cd driver will still not work, (DVD RW working)
    When I re-installed the roxio, the pc stopped during boot up and said there was a problem with either hardware or program and asked to revert to a time when the system was working.:confused

Any thoughts

7. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi,

Did your XP/SP3 system ever work well with ROXIO 6 loaded. XP comes with a Lame version of Roxio and it does not work well with Roxio 6 here. I removed the XP Roxio. That was no help at all. I do not like XP's CD and DVD Software. Since I have two other comps handy with decent CD and DVD I gave up on XPs. Hope this helps a bit.

Good Luck, Jim

8. cyberchick

Hi,
    I had the CD drive tested and it is working fine, I put it back into pc and it showed up in my pc I think it may have been a loose connection as ploder
    suggested.

However!!!!! I have had a crash on system and now various programs are not responding, at one point it said a serious error accurred and pc restarted. The AVG antivirus has said that it has a corrupt file and cannot load, and I canot do anything with it "uninstall with revo or with its own uninstall program, the pc just closes and restarts.
    I run firefox, but that will not run, only internet explorer.

The pc has run chkdsk, how do I download the files needed.(Win 32)

I am in a bit of a pickle, any ideas how I can check my win xp service pk 3 files? and get up and running again.:cry

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds