cd/dvd replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blondtwin, May 2, 2009.

1. blondtwin

blondtwin Private E-2

I recently replaced my cd/dvd burner drive. My other wouldn't read a disc even if there was a disc in. I hooked up the new dvd drive and everytime a boot up my computer it freezes. Can't go into the bios, won't load windows. I turn it off, unplug the dvd drive and everything loads fine. Is it my mother board? some suggestions as to what it could be would be great.

thank you

motherboard is Albatron KX400 8XV pro

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I think the first thing to check is the bios,
    Without the cd/dvd connected check the boot sequence in the bios,if the dvd drive is set as the first boot it is trying to boot from that but when it is not connected it goes automatically to the next boot preference.

3. stable-cottage

stable-cottage Private E-2

if resetting the bios to boot from your hard drive first doesn't solve the problem I'd suggest you either try the drive in another pc or obtain another cable in case the cable is faulty. It shouldn't be possible to plug the IDE cable in the wrong way round unless you use a lot of force but wortyh checking anyway.
    Lastly you could plug the dvd onto the same drive cable as the hard drive if its IDE and try that. If it now works that would suugest you have a problem with the secondary IDE socket (motherboard) or cable

4. blondtwin

blondtwin Private E-2

thanks for the advice. I will try your suggestions. I'm thinking that it is my motherboard, but I was hoping that it wasn't.

thank you again. I will let you know if any of these work.:wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds