CD-Rom and CD Burner Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joeg24, Aug 15, 2005.

1. joeg24

joeg24 Private E-2

Both of my CD Rom and my CD Burner drives arn't showing up in my computer or accesible any other way. Any ways to fix this?

Sorry if in wrong forum

Thanks so much

2. theven 4

theven 4 Private First Class

Hi
    you should look inside the computer and see if the cd drive is connected to the motherboard. ;)

3. joeg24

joeg24 Private E-2

Are you being serious? If so I have no idea how to do that.

4. theven 4

theven 4 Private First Class

you must first shut down the computer and unplug the power cord also unplug the monitor printer ect... lay your computer on its side and there should be a cover latch, slide it ahd hold it, and slide the computer cover toward the back of the computer. If you get there then you should recognize the cd drive easily its just where you put in the cds. there should be cables connecting the cd drive to the motherboard. see if the cables are well connected. Hope it helps. REMEMBER TO UNPLUG EVERYTHING!!! ;)

5. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Did this happen all of a sudden? What did you do with the machine just before it happened?

Your conversation with theven 4 makes me think that you're not likely to have opened the case, so it's not likely that the drives are unconnected. But it's not impossible, so make sure that the data and power cables are firmly seated on both drives and the motherboard.

You could also partially unseat them, then re-seat them. If a dirty contact is responsible, that will sometimes fix that problem. Try not to fully unseat them unless you make careful notes as to which way they were connected. Inserting a data connection backwards is easy to do, and will effectively prevent one or both drives on the cable from operating -- and could damage the drives or the motherboard.

6. Bronson7

Bronson7 Private E-2

I had that happen once. If it just started doing this, you may have a newly iiinstalled or newly removed program that did it. My CD rom(E drive) disappeared from My Computer. I had to go into Adminisrative Tools/Disc Management and re-assign the drive letter. Worked good after that. If it's never shown up then follow the other suggestion.
    Bronson7

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds